Not Ready For A Full Kitchen Remodel, But... - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-16-2015, 08:11 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,176

Not ready for a full kitchen remodel, but...

My kitchen is not in grape shape…..cabinets were re-painted by the previous owner to make it more presentable before selling, but after 3 years now, doesn’t look good
And the floor isn’t that great either: engineered hardwood installed over old linoleum, for the same reason (to make it look better…but doesn’t seem to be good quality)
We would like to have tile, and I know tile should be install first, then cabinets and appliances go over it. But I’m not ready for a full remodel yet (time, budget, etc…)
And to be honest, I don’t really know how to live in a house that doesn’t have a functional kitchen for ~2 months !!!

If I were to go with new IKEA cabinets, I was thinking to tear off the current flooring only were the new cabinets will be re-installed, and put plywood to bring the height of the floor at the same level of a future tiled floor…
Ex: my current floor is 19/32 OSB +1/4” lauan + 1/8” linoleum + 3/8” engineered hardwood. If I were to tile, I would remove lauan, linoleum and hardwood, and install on top of the OSB a 1/2” layer of plywood + ditra + tile. So something like 1” total
So that would mean I would install 1” plywood over the OSB only where the new cabinet will be installed

Does it make sense, or is it completely crazy?

Thanks
french_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2015, 11:43 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,176

I meant "great" shape......
french_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement