New Tub Not Level - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mountainkiddo

Old 12-15-2018, 03:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4
Question

new tub not level

Yes, I did it. Set the tub and it is about 1/4 inch off on the short side opposite the faucet. Should have raised it a little more there, but the mortar was already drying, etc. It is level front to back but side to side is low by about 1/4 inch.

(So I'm referring to the side where my back rests when I soak in my new soaker tub. So when I lay the level on either of the long edges on top of the side, the tub sides slope down away from the faucet. It is equally sloped on both long sides. Sorry if this is confusing it's like port and starboard...)

Now I have the fiberglass surround to install and above that I wanted to install a small amount of tile just to frame the shower area, maybe 10 inches of tile. So the tile will not be going all the way to the ceiling and will be mostly decorative. The surround also has a door that I will be installing.

So my question is, based on all your experience, where is the best place to hide the unlevel-ness of the tub? I can raise that end of the surround and stuff with caulk where the surround and tub meet, but then I have to do the same with the doors when I install them.

Or I can install the surround flat on the tub, and therefore the doors will also be flat on the tub, and then set the tiles in such a way to cover up my ooops!

Surely someone else out there has done something like this before and has a great idea of how to best cover up my ooops.

Looking forward to your answers!

Thank you!!!

Last edited by mountainkiddo; 12-15-2018 at 03:12 PM.
mountainkiddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2018, 05:32 PM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 4,124

Re: new tub not level

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainkiddo View Post
Set the tub and it is about 1/4 inch off on the short side opposite the faucet. ... Now I have the fiberglass surround to install and above that I wanted to install a small amount of tile.
Better to have realized the error now than after that other work is done.

Quote:
So my question is, based on all your experience, where is the best place to hide the unlevel-ness of the tub?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margie
I'm not so sure I agree 100% with your policework there Lou.
^^What she said.

Last edited by TarheelTerp; 12-15-2018 at 05:40 PM.
TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2018, 06:07 PM   #3
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,518

Is the tub flange up in the air?
Cutting a sliver off a full size tile will show the least.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2018, 06:30 PM   #4
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 6,368

Ideally, I would like to cut the bottom of the surround to match the unlevel tub if possible. But not possible with all surrounds. This would get your top back to level.
Also trying to run the surround unlevel causes problems in the corners. None of your edges will line up.
Worse case, find the high spot on the tub, run the surround level from there, and caulk the bottom. A 1/4 isn't the end of the world, but probably beyond the MFG's spec's.

Last edited by Yodaman; 12-15-2018 at 06:33 PM.
Yodaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 05:06 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 4

Thank you for all the quick answers! Yodaman was right, though even a 1/4 inch caused the corners to separate. Part of the problem appears also to be my back wall is not square with the tub either, so the center surround piece tends to tilt back. Thankfully surrounds are flexible! And I can shim one corner out a little to meet the side piece and get it all looking pretty tight even though it's not.

I couldn't cut the bottom of the surround since it is curved and part of the fancy design. So I ended up hanging it level and filling with caulk on the bottom. Its not perfect but still looks nice.

Thanks again for the answers! I truly appreciate the response!
Yodaman likes this.
mountainkiddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
surround , tile , tub and shower