New Laminate Over Holes In Countertop - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By stick\shift

Old 12-16-2016, 10:11 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

New laminate over holes in countertop

I'm planning to refresh our kitchen with new laminate, sink, and painting the cabinets. The current counters are in decent shape, but yellow. I should be able to just lay the new laminate over the old, but there are 2 problems...

1. There is currently a built in blender tool. It was probably cool when it worked, but now it's just gonna leave a 6"x10" hole.
2. There is also a built in hot pad / cutting board, with a raised frame. I might be able to remove the frame and leave the hot pad in there, but I don't know how perfectly even it will be with the countertop.

I'm trying to avoid the hassle of building all new counters. I can probably put something together to fill the holes, attached from the bottom, but that won't be perfectly level.

So I guess my question is, how perfectly flat does a countertop have to be when laying down laminate? I don't want it to flex when I put something down on it, but I expect it could handle some small gaps. Is there a typical gap size that laminate can handle? Any tricks that I can use to fill the gaps so I don't even know they're there once I install the new laminate?

Thanks!!!!
BBallandTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2016, 10:27 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,104

Re: New laminate over holes in countertop

Needs a pretty darn flat surface. Just based on your description, this sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.
stick\shift is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2016, 03:24 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 17,890

Re: New laminate over holes in countertop

All those holes, near impossible to trim the laminate with the top in place anyway, time for a new top.
Check out the ones at Home Depot that have the Roman Ogee edges on the front and back, not the old fashion round edges.
Look far more like solid surface stone tops.
Advertisement