New Floor Under New Kitchen Cabinets? Yes Or No? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree13Likes

Old 12-08-2018, 04:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 226

New floor under new kitchen cabinets? Yes or no?

My husband and I have completely gutted our old kitchen back to the studs and are getting ready to build a new kitchen. We're getting mixed instructions/advice about when to do the new floor. Some builders are saying to put cabinets in first then the floor and others are saying to put the new flooring down then put the cabinets on top of that. We've had mutiple contractors in and also been to kitchen design and supply stores and the consensus is about half saying to do floor first and the other half saying to do cabinets first. Any thoughts, ideas, advice or suggestions and reasons for such would be helpful. Thank you.
OutbackAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2018, 04:25 PM   #2
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 6,386

Re: New floor under new kitchen cabinets? Yes or no?

What type of floor? Hardwood, yes do it first. Just about everything else, probably after cabinet install.
Nealtw likes this.
OutbackAnnie (12-08-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2018, 05:48 PM   #3

Thanks Yodaman. We'll be using wood look Loose Lay Luxury Vinyl Plank. We've put it through the rest of the house and we love it. Can you give me your reasons for the differences in installation of floor types please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2018, 06:38 PM   #4
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 6,386

Is your vinyl floor a floating floor? If so don't want to pinch it under your cabinets. No floating floors under the cabinets. Sheet vinyl, might as well install prior to cabinets to simplify install. Carpet or tile would go down after. Hardwood really could go down either or, but I would install prior and run it 100% wall to wall. Just because it is a more permanent floor that can be refinished during remodels.
OutbackAnnie likes this.
OutbackAnnie (12-08-2018)
Old 12-08-2018, 07:23 PM   #5

The Loose Lay is almost the same thickness as tile. Not the thin type. It's planks - not sheet. Also not slot together. You just kick the planks together and they stay in place as they are quite heavy. It's completely waterproof and only has to be glued around the perimeter although we did glue a few peices at random around our other rooms. In the unlikely event that anything happens to a plank you just pull up that plank and replace it with another one. No slots to worry about. OK I undestand about the pinching but I'm still undecided about which way to go. We have 2 different contractors doing different projects. One says do floor first and the other says do cabinets first. Need to get a 3rd opinion.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:04 PM   #6
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,818

You don't want the cupboard on top because they are floating.
Or you want the floor down first so they look good under the fridge stove and fridge because of the required gaps and trim.
I would have the cupboard guy in first but have him put down 5/16" plywood first but make the small like 1/4". So the floor can go under with little or no trim and you will still be able to pull a piece if you want to.
OutbackAnnie likes this.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 09:59 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,194

How thick are the planks? If they are more than let's say 1/4" thick, you just need to keep an eye out for your dishwasher installation and the countertop. You may have trouble with installation or later removal if the floor underneath isn't the exact same height as the main floor. There would be a lip that would need to be negotiated in or out.

Personally, I would just go ahead and put the floor under the cabinets, or you may use a less expensive substitute of the same thickness as the planks, such as osb or plywood.
OutbackAnnie likes this.
OutbackAnnie (12-09-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 08:03 PM   #8

Thank you Neal and Z's for your replies. The planks are 1/4 inch thick. We'll be talking to more people so we have time to work it out but I have a better idea now about why some do floor first and why others do cabinets first.
Nealtw likes this.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:10 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
You don't want the cupboard on top because they are floating.
Or you want the floor down first so they look good under the fridge stove and fridge because of the required gaps and trim.
I would have the cupboard guy in first but have him put down 5/16" plywood first but make the small like 1/4". So the floor can go under with little or no trim and you will still be able to pull a piece if you want to.
Excellent advice in my opinion.
Nealtw likes this.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:18 PM   #10
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,818

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Milam View Post
Excellent advice in my opinion.
I was busy taking cupboard out to remove a tile floor and started with the smallest and discovered some nice guy did that for us. Changed the tile with out moving the cupboards.
Mike Milam likes this.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 07:18 AM   #11
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,680

Quote:
why some do floor first and why others do cabinets first
Good advice so far. The reason some of the ones you mentioned recommended no flooring is that they do flooring. The ones that suggested flooring first were designers and had no idea how to lay flooring. They were looking at a finished product. I'd go with the suggestions posted here considering your floating floor.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:43 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 78

The answer is No. You do not want to install a floor and the cabinets on top of the new floor, no matter what material is being used. Reason being, is that at some point in the future you or someone else will decide to renovate and replace the floor.

If the floor is installed underneath the cabinets it's difficult to remove cleanly and without some damage to the cabinets possibly. You do, however, install new floor in the areas where slide in appliances go like refrigerator, or a stove etc.

Do ensure, though, that the finished floor is at about the same level as the cabinets to allow for straight forward installation of cabinet appliances like dishwasher. If the finished floor is 1/4" higher that's not a big deal, but if it is expected to be 1/2"+ higher then place appropriate thickness plywood (can do just strips) underneath the cabinets to raise them up a little.

For example, you are installing 1/4" thick tile over a 1/4" cement board that goes on top of your subfloor. Then use 1/2" plywood between subfloor and the cabinets when installing them.
OutbackAnnie likes this.
davison0976 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to davison0976 For This Useful Post:
OutbackAnnie (01-05-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 06:37 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 58

I concur with the posts that advise not installing cabinets on top of new floor. If the floor expands or contracts due to environment you may have buckling or gaps appear because the floor cannot expand or contract properly if it is "trapped" under the cabinets.
OutbackAnnie likes this.
diycabinets is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to diycabinets For This Useful Post:
OutbackAnnie (01-10-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 10:35 AM   #14

Thank you all for your replies. Sounds like the majority like the cabinets to go in first. I understand the reasons now. That's the way we'll go then.
Yodaman likes this.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:36 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 484

No reason to put flooring under the cabinets. I do put 2x4's down where the cabinets will sit on the floor to gain 1.5 inches in working height and to make it easy to have a drain line run from the dishwasher to the garbage disposal and drain. The 2x4 is covered by the kick panel of the cabinet and so completely out of sight.

When the room is bare you have the opportunity to add outlets and put in wiring for cabinet lighting and to put in new valves for the faucet and a new drain setup for the sink. Much easier to take care of this before the cabinets are in place. I used the one day interval between the demo and cabinet installation to also change a door into a pocket door between the kitchen and a room that serves as a laundry room and pantry.

Demo started on Monday and by Friday night everything was in place except the tile backsplash and the tile floor which was done the following week. Total time without a kitchen was barely 5 days.
Calson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement