New Cabinet Depth Does Not Meet Depth Of Bulkhead - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-12-2018, 10:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 254

New Cabinet Depth does not meet depth of Bulkhead

Hey all,

I recently upgraded my cabinets from old custom built cabinets to brand new stock cabinets, the old ones were rotting so they had to go.

There is currently a bulkhead above the old cabinets, height is not going to be an issue, and I'm covering the total difference in width with filler strips. The only issue I'm faced with is depth of the upper cabinets.

It seems the old ones were custom made to fit that kitchen, and met the bulkhead's depth perfectly, a flat trim piece was placed over the 1/16" gap between the cabinets and bulkhead.

The main issue here is that the new cabinets fall short, in other words I have about a 1/2"-1" gap where the new cabinets do not extend far out enough to meet the edge of the bulkhead (the front of the bulkhead is finished but the underneath is open framing), so this leaves a very unsightly look.

What are my options here, I will be shimming the cabinets to get a uniform measurement all around, but the gap will still be prominent

Thanks!
mbrando1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2018, 11:58 PM   #2
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,054

Re: New Cabinet Depth does not meet depth of Bulkhead

Finish that strip of soffit in whatever the front of it is finished in.... drywall...?
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2018, 01:38 AM   #3
RRH

Rewards Points: 1,316

Depends on the look you want.

Put up the cabinets. Then a 1x2 trim board cut to size or quarter round molding if only 3/4". Or of course finish the drywall corner.

If you want it flush like before. Just cut nailing strips and mount to the wall first. Make the install a little easier since will not have to look for studs when mount the cabinets.

Buy the size you need or take a 2x4 and table saw and make it exact. Of course then you would just buy some pre finished trim boards that match the cabinets to cover the gap from the wall where you can see it. Or a prefinished side panel skin.
RRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2018, 06:16 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 5,814

Have you considered removing the bulkhead and using 36" upper cabinets. Makes a world of difference in appearance.
Old 05-13-2018, 08:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
Have you considered removing the bulkhead and using 36" upper cabinets. Makes a world of difference in appearance.
I have but the cost would blow the budget out of the water, I'm just using in store stock cabinets that are rather cheap
Old 05-13-2018, 08:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTN REMODEL LLC View Post
Finish that strip of soffit in whatever the front of it is finished in.... drywall...?
Great idea, I always miss the simplest answer haha
Old 05-13-2018, 08:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRH View Post
Depends on the look you want.

Put up the cabinets. Then a 1x2 trim board cut to size or quarter round molding if only 3/4". Or of course finish the drywall corner.

If you want it flush like before. Just cut nailing strips and mount to the wall first. Make the install a little easier since will not have to look for studs when mount the cabinets.

Buy the size you need or take a 2x4 and table saw and make it exact. Of course then you would just buy some pre finished trim boards that match the cabinets to cover the gap from the wall where you can see it. Or a prefinished side panel skin.
I've decided to install the cabinets normally and finish the corner as if it were drywall, It appears they used some type of wooden veneer or plywood to build the bulkhead nailed to the framing, but so far it has come out very nice, just have to sand the finish coat and paint. As much as I hate drywalling, I figured this would still be simpler than cutting crown/other moldings and trimming it out, which I suppose could still be done either way too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
bulkhead , cabinets , install , kitchen , soffit