New Bathtub Issues During Tile Mock Up - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By clarenceboddick

Old 06-26-2017, 02:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 270

New Bathtub issues during tile mock up

So bathroom remodel is about 90% to 95% complete, only thing that is or was left was tiling the shower surround. Well this weekend i started doing some mock ups with the tiles(since we are using 12x24), chose to put 2 rows worth up held with tape, it held and worked for the first day and over night.. against my better judgement, i chose to leave up little longer since i was suppose to start the install that afternoon.

Well after a long day out, came home to find that 2 tiles feel off and created 2 holes in the tub(acrylic tub) At this point, removing and replacing is not an option.. ive seen and read about repair kits, but since these are "holes" not just chips i wanted to make sure what i can do to help insure the repair holds up(besides the preparations)

I was thinking that i could access the back side of the tub from a closet, if needed to help with the repair, one idea(may or may not) be a good one, but build some support in those areas to help support the tub and help prevent flex that could cause stress in those areas.. OR with access i could patch from the back side with fiberglass kits, then on the front side use the tub/shower repair kit to finish it off..

With the ability to access the back side of the tub where it happened, what can i do to insure to create a structually sound base to help prevent the openings from opening back up.

One hole is about the size of the tip of your pinky and the other is about half that size..

Any and all help or feedback would be great.. this has really set me back, expecting a 100% complete new bathroom and now i already have to patch a new bathtub
cubangt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2017, 03:16 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,566

Re: New Bathtub issues during tile mock up

As I mentioned in the other thread, we should always protect the tub with a sheet of plywood.
Experience is gained from learning the hard way..
The tub is re enforced with fiberglass on the outside so adding to that would be a good idea.

But; I would have you consider how much work and money you have invested to have that perfect bathroom, will you ever be happy with a repaired tub.
And consider how much money you have saved by doing the work yourself and can you replace the tub and still be cheaper than having the job done by others.

Chalk it up to experience and change the tub.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2017, 04:07 PM   #3

I will be happy with a tub that works.. and doesnt leak and functional. Granted the tub would set me back about $300 for the one we got.. but its the demo of the already done/finished other parts.. if it was just simply pull out and replace without the need to demo other areas, i would have already started.. but the rest of the bathroom is completed.. because its acrylic / fiberglass, i know i can remove it easily, cut it up.. But reinstalling would be the big question, i would have to cut about 1/2 or so of the hardi board that is already waterproofed with red gard.. if i cut that much off the bottom, is that still ok afterwards? would i need to try and add that back? based on the recommended installation steps, the board is suppose to come down over the tub flange and be up off the tub i think it was 1/8 or 1/4". I mean the tile work that was done is about 1/4 or so away from the tub, so there is room to hopefully remove and slide back in, but the bathroom is about 95% complete, painted and functional "minus the tub and shower"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2017, 04:15 PM   #4
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,566

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubangt View Post
I will be happy with a tub that works.. and doesnt leak and functional. Granted the tub would set me back about $300 for the one we got.. but its the demo of the already done/finished other parts.. if it was just simply pull out and replace without the need to demo other areas, i would have already started.. but the rest of the bathroom is completed.. because its acrylic / fiberglass, i know i can remove it easily, cut it up.. But reinstalling would be the big question, i would have to cut about 1/2 or so of the hardi board that is already waterproofed with red gard.. if i cut that much off the bottom, is that still ok afterwards? would i need to try and add that back? based on the recommended installation steps, the board is suppose to come down over the tub flange and be up off the tub i think it was 1/8 or 1/4". I mean the tile work that was done is about 1/4 or so away from the tub, so there is room to hopefully remove and slide back in, but the bathroom is about 95% complete, painted and functional "minus the tub and shower"
Could you do it by just removing about 10" of backer board just above the tub..

You could do your patch work first and judge happiness on how that turns out .
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 08:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
Could you do it by just removing about 10" of backer board just above the tub..

You could do your patch work first and judge happiness on how that turns out .
Im considering all options at this point, yesterday stopped at one of the big box stores and they said they no longer carry the tub repair kit, will try the next store today, cutting out some of the backer board is def an option and may be what i do, having a tub/bathroom guy stop by this week to check it out and see what is possible and if its possible to repair without future issues, considering i can access the back side of the tub, maybe the route to go, but all depends on cost..
Old 06-27-2017, 09:42 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,054

I repaired a crack in an installed fiberglass tub that didn't have a bed of mortar. I used a basic fiberglass repair it. I V notched the crack and feathered it out a bit. I used 4 layers of matting, each one bigger than the last. After the repair cured, I used spray paint and added a bit of sand for traction. Then I mixed up some cement and packed in what I could through the access hole in the laundry room. The owner didn't care about the repair being noticeable, just that it would last and not leak. That was 3 years ago and it's still OK.

Repairing the fiberglass is easy. Matching the original finish is just about impossible, as the color is in the gel coat.

You can only get a hole in a fiberglass tub if the required mortar bed was not done. Any repair will not last, if the bottom of the tub lacks support.
Nealtw likes this.
clarenceboddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 09:45 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,452

If you check with the plumbing supply house in your area (wholesalers, not the box stores), they may have a person who does fiberglass repairs. When I was building houses, we had two instances where we needed to repair a tub and these people did an excellent job on both the repair and matching the color. But if I remember right, it was $125-150. And that was a number of years ago. Might be worth a try, if not, I would remove whatever I needed to easily get the old tub out and the new tub in. Then reinstall cement board and red guard again. Sounds like a pain, but in the long run, you'll appreciate it.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 03:54 PM   #8

SO im back.. and back to where i left off before the wholly tub issues

Wife was set on what we had already, so found the same tub, and spent friday, saturday and sunday getting everything back in order. Friday to remove the tub, saturday to clean up and enlarge the niche we had, placed the new tub into the opening and couldnt figure out how to get it to slip into place.. had to call uncle for help, figure out what needed to be done, was able to get the tub in. Short of the new seams needing to be taped and waterproofed again, looks like nothing ever happened.

Taped, and sealed all the new areas, filled the tub with moving blankets inside and over the side, cut some plywood to fit over it and isnt going to be removed until it has to be..
Going to pick up some roundec tonight and order the 1/8" ditra for the decorative mosaic row that we are installing.. and time permitting, begin installing at least the first row of tiles. Everything is already marked and ready for tile. Bullnose placement has been determined and marked.

If i can ill take a picture of the side of the tub that meets the drywall, because the drywall does NOT go all the way to the tub side, there is about 3/4" space that is not built up, so not sure what i should fill in that space before the thinset for the bullnose.. not sure if just filling in with the thinset at time of installation is ok or something else is required..

Also, since im using bullnose on the edges, should they sit on top of the floor trim or cut the floor trim to allow the tile to meet up with the floor tile?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement