Needing New Bathtub. Completely Lost. - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-22-2016, 02:43 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2
Wink

Needing new bathtub. Completely lost.

So I currently have in my new house an "all in one" bathtub/shower, and that's the only type of bath/shower I've ever had, so when looking for a new one I'm very lost.

The bathtub/shower is in poor shape. Here's some pics: professionalnerd.org/house/2016/02/22/my-crappy-bathroom-heh/

This link was pretty helpful: hgtv.com/remodel/bathroom-remodel/how-to-choose-a-bathtub

There's

All in 1 Bath/Shower
Drop In Bath
Freestanding & Clawfoot
Corner Bath (With Skirt?)
Regular Bath (With Skirt?)

If I read correctly, the "skirt" is the part where the bathtub reaches the floor, unlike the "Drop In" baths, which have nothing. I dont want any of that, since I dont know how to build a platform.

So I've narrowed it down to

All in 1 Bath/Shower
Corner Bath (With Skirt?)
Regular Bath (With Skirt?)

I feel like the all in 1 bath/shower would be the easiest solution, however I'm having an EXTREMELY hard time finding anything about these online. Most everything is drop in or freestanding...

So I've considered a Corner/Regular bath w/ Skirt. My main preference is to have a BIGGER bathtub... Big enough for 2 (larger) people to fit halfways comfortably.... Also so I can soak better. I've read that Regular baths that are deeper are indeed called "Soaker" baths... but they dont seem to be "bigger".

A corner bath seems to be larger and maybe more of what I need, but im not sure if it would fit, so I've been looking just for a slightly larger rectangular one. Some of them are labeled as "Spa" and are bigger... but I don't necessarily want the jets. (They would be nice, but with my luck, break easily, so I'd rather just not take that chance!)

So lets talk about the Skirt bath. I'm assuming that these can be used in conjunction with a shower head sticking out of the wall? I'm assuming that I will need to tile said walls prior to putting the bathtub in. Also, do I tile the floor once the bathtub is out? (I have no idea whats under there)

What sort of tile do I use? What would be the cheapest? I then assume that once everything is tiled, the new bathtub goes in and we caulk the sides to be waterproof.

[IMG]diychatroom.com/attachments/f80/235522d1452703396-starting-my-first-tub-shower-conversion-spa-shower.jpg[/IMG]
Ive also thought about doing something like this... Just tiling off EVERYTHING, and somehow... making it able to be a bath too? Like build an extra side UP on the other side of the "shower"... or would that be super duper hard too?

What happens if the bathtub isnt as long as the space though? Or is all spaces about universally the same size? I dont have access to the house right now till the bank does its appraisal... but I feel personally like it is a smaller bathroom than normal.

It could be made a bit bigger if you close off one of the doors (theres 2 doors)

One of the doors goes to the master bedroom, the other to a hallway.

How would you go about closing off that door and making it blend in with the rest of the wall? This seems a little extreme and prolly a little hard.

I eventually want to put new wall & floor tile in the whole thing... should that be done at the same time as the new bathtub? Im not sure if I'd have enough money for both, but would it be like, significantly easier if we did?
Do you even put tile in a bathroom for the walls? Im not sure. Ive never owned a house before even, lol.

What about Vinyl flooring? Thats cheaper than normal tile... I think? This website seems to have good prices... carpet-usa.com/lvt.php

Sorry for like 9004 questions! This needs to be as easy and painless and as cheap as possible.

I dont mind so much colors or designs... Just need something for it to be "slightly newer than the 60s" with a bathtub that isn't gross! LOL.

Thank you guys so much!

Last edited by Caiterz; 02-22-2016 at 02:46 AM.
Caiterz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2016, 05:30 AM   #2
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

This is to long to read---so I'll answer a couple of questions---

A tub that will have a shower must be one that has a wall flange--so water will shed off the tiled walls and then run into the tub--

Installation steps---
Tub goes in against the wood studs
then the cement board tile backer
then a coat of waterproofing over the backer board\then tile

When that is done--the floor is tiled up to the tub skirt.

Most people use an alcove (three walls) for a tub /shower---best way to keep shower water contained--
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2016, 07:32 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 6,756

With so many questions, this is a good time to watch a lot of YouTube videos on "bathtub installation" just to get a feel for what you want and to see the basics of what must be done.

A lot will depend on the space you have now. Like you said a corner bath is not going to work in the space you have. Also, I might add, for remodeling purposes, an ALL-in-ONE is usually not feasible because you can't fit it through and into the space without breaking something on the unit. Most remodeling tubs/showers, come in 2 or 3 pieces and attach to your stud walls.

If tiling a whole bathroom, well, it can be very pricey if you hire it out. Vinyl is much cheaper and easier to install, but won't last as long as tile.
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2016, 03:50 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 462

To try to answer the last question, no you would not want to try to build a soaker tub by walling in a shower stall. That has failure written all over it.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim F For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (03-08-2016)
Old 03-08-2016, 07:00 PM   #5
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim F View Post
To try to answer the last question, no you would not want to try to build a soaker tub by walling in a shower stall. That has failure written all over it.
I had a call to find a leak last week---Yep---deck mount tub used as an alcove tub--- I haven't torn into it yet---He's convinced that caulking will cure the issue.

He is his own worst enemy---He is stubborn and cheap---and has a poor memory.

He forgot that I gave him a price on remodeling that bathroom--but was WAY to high.

I'm quite sure he will not want to pay me and my employee to find the problem.
Jim F (03-09-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement