Need Inspiration/ideas On Bathroom Layout, With Cast Iron Stack - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree5Likes

Old 01-11-2019, 08:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 232

Need inspiration/ideas on bathroom layout, with cast iron stack

I am trying to plan a new basement bathroom and ran into a thinking block.

Left side room is the laundry area and mechanical area even further to the left. Right side will be a wet bar. Purple rectangles are windows (left one existing) right one doesn't exist, but did a long time ago and was filled in. I'd like to open it back up. The brown line in the floor is where I traced the main sewer pipe under the slab. ~1' 3" deep at the stack, according to the locator I rented.

The major design considerations are:
1) The waste/drain stack (orange vertical pipe) in the back right corner of the bathroom. Clean-out faces forward (can see it through the proposed vanity cabinet).
--I was thinking of building out about 8 inches off the wall and putting a sink in front. This leaves about 12" of depth for cabinets with mirrored fronts to conceal the rest of the waste stack.
2) Basement is a half cinderblock wall, (50" up). 4" horizontal back to the 2x4 framing the rest of the way up. Total height to floor joists is 96". Plumbing above limits finished ceiling height to around 88" finished. HVAC ducts limit portions of the ceiling to 84" finished.
3) Not too sure about putting a toilet on top of the 1'4" deep sewer pipe, it will likely be offset by 2"-4" and not too sure if plumbing fittings can accommodate that and a vent.
4) Space is tight due to wanting to revive the previously closed off window.

Hopefully the pictures explain the rest. Ask away about anything that is unclear.

I have been thinking about moving the toilet to the left side, and moving the door to the right. I'm pretty set on a bathtub/shower combo, but open to alternatives (not enthusiastic about a fully custom built shower). It likely won't include the roofcap.
Attached Thumbnails
Need inspiration/ideas on bathroom layout, with cast iron stack-empty-outline.jpg   Need inspiration/ideas on bathroom layout, with cast iron stack-first-idea-layout.jpg  

Last edited by gslenk; 01-11-2019 at 08:27 PM.
gslenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2019, 09:00 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,361

Re: Need inspiration/ideas on bathroom layout, with cast iron stack

Any reason you couldn't rotate the toilet 90 clockwise so you're facing the sink while taking a dump? And slide/rotate the tub/shower to align with the left wall, letting you open up the sink area a bit?
huesmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2019, 10:52 AM   #3

I'm pretty close to DC, so local opinion is always a plus

As you describe it, there would be around 18" from toilet bowl to sink cabinets (compared to ~26" to the side of the tank) and about 38" between the shower and toilet. It would be a tight squeeze for the door. Maybe a small freestanding/wall mount sink. 32" Door won't fit if shower is rotated, and toilet is not.

Any refinements to your suggestion? I think I have an idea...
Attached Thumbnails
Need inspiration/ideas on bathroom layout, with cast iron stack-moved-tub-toilet-1.jpg   Need inspiration/ideas on bathroom layout, with cast iron stack-move-tub-toilet-2.jpg   Need inspiration/ideas on bathroom layout, with cast iron stack-door-wont-fit.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2019, 11:00 AM   #4

This doesn't seem like such a hot idea either. Toilet cant go on the door wall if the tub is rotated.
Attached Thumbnails
Need inspiration/ideas on bathroom layout, with cast iron stack-not-looking-good.jpg  
Old 01-12-2019, 11:08 AM   #5

Left side toilet looks a little better for the sink, but another bathroom in the house already has a toilet in this position next to the shower/tub. Not exactly a fan of this layout, but it might just be me. The toilet is in a 44" wide space so its not "that" bad (maybe a few inches less after finishing surfaces).
Attached Thumbnails
Need inspiration/ideas on bathroom layout, with cast iron stack-left-toilet-original.jpg  
Old 01-12-2019, 11:17 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,272

Minimum distances per code apply so make sure you meet them.

And, use a pocket door
195795 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 11:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasdiyer View Post
And, use a pocket door
Didn't cross my mind (although I know they exist). I think I'd rather give up on the tub idea, and use a smaller shower (corner or enclosure) than use a pocket door.

I am slowly beginning to give up on a full size shower/tub anyway.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gslenk View Post
Didn't cross my mind (although I know they exist). I think I'd rather give up on the tub idea, and use a smaller shower (corner or enclosure) than use a pocket door.

I am slowly beginning to give up on a full size shower/tub anyway.
Use a pocket door - take that last design photo and move the sink directly across from where the toilet is and ur good to go - that's free, anything more and I'll have to put you on the clock $$$

Last edited by 195795; 01-12-2019 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:18 PM   #9

Yeah, I get the space savings. I just don't like pocket doors, don't know why, even though this is the perfect situation for one.

The alternative is make more space with a smaller shower. And the more I think about it, it seems to make more sense.

This plan moves the wall closer to the waste stack, so I can build a chase up (yellow area on floor), and an adjacent closet/cabinet/shelves that still allows access to the cleanout (orange outline on floor)

This makes the toilet seem a little recessed, but not cramped.

I hate the "freestanding" sink. Its a placeholder for now until I can think up a way to build a vanity that minimizes dead space.
Attached Thumbnails
Need inspiration/ideas on bathroom layout, with cast iron stack-corner-shower.jpg   Need inspiration/ideas on bathroom layout, with cast iron stack-chase-shelves.jpg  
Old 01-12-2019, 03:16 PM   #10

Switch the toilet and sink - you don't walk towards the back of a toilet room after you use the toilet - and USE A POCKET DOOR !!!
Old 01-12-2019, 03:22 PM   #11

Heres a version with a vanity. Ill let the pocket door idea marinate, might grow on me. Good point about swapping sink toilet.

Better vanity idea...
Attached Thumbnails
Need inspiration/ideas on bathroom layout, with cast iron stack-vanity.jpg  
Old 01-12-2019, 08:36 PM   #12
Hammered Thumb

Rewards Points: 1,844

I think I may have missed something. Why not do a standard bathroom layout? You have 97 3/4". You need 96" (x 60" deep): 36" vanity in front of the stack, 30" for toilet, then 30" wide tub turned perpendicular. Door on the right swinging in facing vanity.
3onthetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 11:39 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3onthetree View Post
Why not do a standard bathroom layout?
I think a 60" deep bathroom wouldn't match the overall layout well, and only accomplishes a wider hallway and simpler/standard bathroom.
Attached is a full/rough basement layout. Yellow is the walkout basement door.

All blue walls will/can be moved but I think the horizontal would have to stay. I did at one point consider making a wider hallway, at the cost of a smaller laundry area, and wet bar. Red wall is load bearing.
Attached Thumbnails
Need inspiration/ideas on bathroom layout, with cast iron stack-all-basement-layout.jpg  

Last edited by gslenk; 01-13-2019 at 11:48 AM.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:07 PM   #14
Hammered Thumb

Rewards Points: 1,844

Your first dimensioned drawing shows 97 3/4"x79 1/2". You need 96"x60" for a standard size bathroom. That's why I thought I must be missing something in a post to not do this?
Attached Thumbnails
Need inspiration/ideas on bathroom layout, with cast iron stack-gslenk.jpg  
195795 likes this.
3onthetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 12:10 PM   #15
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,818

Just build a 3 foot wide wall at the end of the tub to make it 5 ft
3 feet for the toilet and the rest can be vanity.
with the door 3" from the inside corner.

195795 likes this.

Last edited by Nealtw; 01-13-2019 at 12:13 PM.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement