Need Help Kitchen Remodel Starts... - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-10-2012, 06:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 77

Need help Kitchen remodel starts...

I am trying to start the kitchen remodel and the first thing I need to do is move the refigerator and relocate it to the pantry in these pictures. I need help openign the pantry a little bit to fit it. The fridge is 36" and the opening for the pantry is 30 1/2". There is a small lip on the left side if it was gone the fridge would fit in the exisitng opening. Any thoughts on how to frame this woudl be appreciated. I have to move the power outlet and also run the water line for the fridge. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Another thing I am looking to do is remove the old tile backsplash without damaging the drywall. Thanks for the help it is greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Need help Kitchen remodel starts...-img_0107.jpg   Need help Kitchen remodel starts...-img_0108.jpg   Need help Kitchen remodel starts...-img_0109.jpg  
bowanna03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2012, 09:04 PM   #2

Give us a measurement on that wall on the left side of the pantry. It looks like about 8". If it is a 2 x 4 wall with drywall meeting that 8" front corner, that would mean you possibly could tear out 3 1/2" before you were flush to the inside of that side wall. Now, next clarification...is the pantry 30 1/2" on the inside of the cabinet sides? If it is and the sides are 3/4" each, that means the cabinet on the outside would be 32". So 32" + 3 1/2" = 35 1/2". You still need at least 1" because you can't fit a 36" ref. into a 36" hole. You need some air movement room and nothing is that straight or level. You could rip out the drywall on both sides to gain 1" then use masonite or thin paneling on those side walls. You really need to very accurately figure out if you really have enough room and let us know.
MNsawyergp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2012, 10:02 PM   #3

for the walls on the inside of the pantry are 36" wall to wall maybe a 1/4" more. The wall to the left of the pantry is 7 1/4" for the post.
bowanna03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2012, 10:07 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 17,884

Removing the old back splash will distroy the sheetrock behind, get over it and just install new sheerock. A simple fix.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:37 AM   #5

Okay, so now that I look closer, I see that it wasn't a slide in pantry cabinet. You will still need to get rid of that left side back to the side wall. Get the drywall off that corner. There should be 2-3 studs nailed together. Drive a pry bar between them to start a gap, then take a sawzall and cut the nails holding them together. Use the sawzall to cut the nails at the bottom, then pry out the stud. You could beat them out like they do on TV, but save your energy and work smart. You will get more done and not destroy the place or you. You will have to re-drywall that side anyway so romove the drywall on that inside wall all the way to the back and replace with 1/4" to gain more room...not the best, but you need all the room you can get. Hopefully your ref. is a little less than 36". As for the backsplash, just tear it out and put in new drywall, don't waste time thinking about it.
MNsawyergp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement