Need Help Installing Shower Pan That Is Smaller Than Stud To Stud Spacing - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rjniles

Old 12-19-2017, 11:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 18

Need help installing shower pan that is smaller than stud to stud spacing

Hi all, and thanks for the help. I have a bathroom that is 12 ft long by 5 ft and a half inch wide so 60.5 inches wide. my shower pan is 60 inches wide so what do I do with this half inch gap? should I split the difference and fir out both ends by a 1/4 inch? should I fir out one side a half inch? which side, the faucet side or opposite? should I not fir out anything and just make like a half inch shelf lol? also since I cant have the cement board to drywall transition flush, how do I hide the exposed cement board and sides of the tile? bullnose wont work I don't think, all it would cover is the sides of the tile, but the cement board and thin set would still show.

Need help installing shower pan that is smaller than stud to stud spacing-20171219_212658.jpg

Need help installing shower pan that is smaller than stud to stud spacing-20171219_212716.jpg

Need help installing shower pan that is smaller than stud to stud spacing-screenshot_20171219-212958.jpg

Need help installing shower pan that is smaller than stud to stud spacing-screenshot_20171219-213116.jpg
DIY DAD 2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2017, 11:50 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,478

Re: Need help installing shower pan that is smaller than stud to stud spacing

1/2 in. strips of plywood one side best if you can do the whole wall, if you already have drywall on rest of wall just add a second drywall over that.
You want to add solid blocking between studs at bottom to give solid support for the board. I would add then first and then the spacers.
The blocking is to prevent the movement at the bottom that breaks caulking.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2017, 11:58 PM   #3

both walls that have drywall on them are already textured and painted and totally finished, plus both walls have a door so firring out the entire wall would be a lot of work. why would you do 1/2 in on one side instead of 1/4 on both? thanks for the help btw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2017, 12:21 AM   #4
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIY DAD 2591 View Post
both walls that have drywall on them are already textured and painted and totally finished, plus both walls have a door so firring out the entire wall would be a lot of work. why would you do 1/2 in on one side instead of 1/4 on both? thanks for the help btw
Either would work as long as you have a plan on where and how you end the tile. Maybe a double edging on one side one, on the board and one on the tile.
I am sure there are other ideas too.

Or if you just space out the tub could you still make the board work with out spacing that out?
Old 12-20-2017, 12:43 AM   #5

if I do a 1/4 inch on both sides and I install 1/2 cement board on the studs then the cement board would rest on top of the shower pan flange. is that ok or should the cement board overlap the flange?
Old 12-20-2017, 02:06 AM   #6
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIY DAD 2591 View Post
if I do a 1/4 inch on both sides and I install 1/2 cement board on the studs then the cement board would rest on top of the shower pan flange. is that ok or should the cement board overlap the flange?
Yes that will work, I staple plastic to the wall to come out and down the flange a little Hold the board up 1/8 off the tub and fill the gap between plastic and the tub and flange with silicone.

See post #4 that Larry posted here.
http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/old-tu...2/#post4947122
The Following User Says Thank You to Nealtw For This Useful Post:
chandler48 (12-20-2017)
Old 12-20-2017, 04:44 AM   #7
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 604

Use 1/2" quarter round to cover the transition from the drywall to the backer board. I would use PVC.
MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.

rjniles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 10:03 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,002

Get out the destructions for the pan and read them. They prolly want you to bring the tilebacker down and stop it right at the pan. Then the tile will go on past the backer and stop maybe 1/8" from the top of the "ledge."

So you may not have to do anything with your walls. Usually the tilebacker brings you in 1/2" from the flange. In your case, if you split your extra 1/2", the tilebacker will only bring you in 1/4" from the flange and that will still let your tile continue on down.

Make sense?

Regarding your tilebacker-sheetrock transition, if I am following you correctly, just bring your tile on past the joint with a piece of bullnose. If you don't want to use bullnose or if a profile is much less expensive, use a piece of profile and terminate with a square edge.

Look at the sectional view on the Mustee installation instructions which I've attached:

http://www.mustee.com/product-lines/...rs/square.html
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
aclove shower , bathroom remodel , cement backer board , shower install , tile