Need Help With Gap Between Shower Pan Flange And Backer Board - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-24-2018, 01:31 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 18

need help with gap between shower pan flange and backer board

Hi all, working on a bathroom gut and remodel. i have all but one more piece of cbu up and I'm almost ready to tape and mud the seams and apply redgard to the whole shower. my only question is what to do when it comes to the gap between the cement board and the shower pan nailing flange. in the pictures below the red line is the seam I'm talking about. removing the cement board and furring out the studs so the cement board can overlap the flange is not an option. listed below is the possible options i can see for this gap. what do all you fine folk recommend? anything i havnt listed?

option 1: silicone the gap and regard all the way down to it. will redgard adhere to silicone?

option 2: don't know if this is possible without removing all screws in cbu, but if possible, somehow pull the bottom of the cbu away from the studs and then put a 12 inch wide strip of 6mill poly behind the cbu and drape into pan. then redgard all the cbu.

option 3: attach 6 inch wide waterproofing tape to the front of the cbu and drape it into the pan. redgard it all.

option 4: tape and mud this seam with thinset and alkali resistant tape like all my other cbu to cbu seams. redgard everything.

DIY DAD 2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2018, 07:24 AM   #2
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,380

Re: need help with gap between shower pan flange and backer board

You would have done better to have a 4 mil plastic vapor barrier on the wall extending out and over the tub flange. That would have deflected any moisture droplets down and into the shower pan later on. You have done correctly ending the cbu at the flange and your tile will jump the gap well without problem. You will be taping and thinsetting all the other joints and corners and applying RedGard, so that joint would be no different.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2018, 12:43 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandler48 View Post
You would have done better to have a 4 mil plastic vapor barrier on the wall extending out and over the tub flange. That would have deflected any moisture droplets down and into the shower pan later on. You have done correctly ending the cbu at the flange and your tile will jump the gap well without problem. You will be taping and thinsetting all the other joints and corners and applying RedGard, so that joint would be no different.
so are you saying i can tape and mud this seam like a normal cbu to cbu seam? or should i use some kerdiband there instead?
DIY DAD 2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2018, 04:42 PM   #4
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,380

No need for kerdi since you have the cbu in place. Just tape over with alkaline proof tape and thinset it, Red Gard if it makes you warm and fuzzy. Just don't drip it on the pan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
hardibacker , redgard