Need Help Deciding On A Kitchen Floor - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-16-2015, 01:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 578

Need help deciding on a kitchen floor

Im trying to decide what floor to put in the kitchen. I had originally bought some dark wood-print vinyl planks, but when i laid them out in front of the cabinet, the color was just too far off. So we sold those and are back to square one.

Important Note! This is a mobile home with plywood subfloor. Therefore, i am not interested in using ceramic, porcelain, or travertine. Vinyl is really my only option.

Cabinets are bright white. Countertops are black granite-pattern laminate. There are several dark brown accent pieces in there, such as the end wall, a tall cabinet, and a wall beside the fridge, the remaining walls are white beadboard. The base trim will be white. I thought about beige square tile, but next to the bright white cabinets, it just looks so dingy. I dont want to go any lighter.

The living room floor, which meets up with this floor, is a gunstock oak vinyl plank. I considered continuing the vinyl plank into the kitchen but im not sure that wood print is really right for a kitchen. Can anybody help me out?

Pics below of the kitchen in its current, half finished state. I know theyre not the best angle. And that dark brown wall at the end will be given a light tan sponged overlay later on so it wont be so dark.
Attached Thumbnails
Need help deciding on a kitchen floor-kitchen-front-wall.jpg   Need help deciding on a kitchen floor-kitchen-sink.jpg   Need help deciding on a kitchen floor-kitchen2.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2015, 02:51 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 6,889

Roll vinyl in some earth tone will play well with the oak floor. I usually visit Lowes and HD and try to pick something they have in stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2015, 03:10 PM   #3

Yes it will be something from lowes in-stock selection, but i need help picking the color itself. It wont be roll vinyl, itll be either 12" x 12" tiles or planks. Like i said, the dark color was way off, but the beige just looked dirty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2015, 04:46 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 17,890

Last thing you want in a kitchen of bathroom is a floor full of seams.
Sheet linoleum is the way to go.
Do not cheap out, huge difference in quality's.
I have some sheet linoleum floors that are over 20 years old and still look brand new.
Going to need to first lay 1/4" multi ply plywood before any vinyl or linoleum flooring or every seam will show through.
It's installed so the seams do not line up with the joist below, no glue, best way is to use a narrow crown pneumatic stable gun, outside edges get fastened every 4" and 6 to 8" in the field.
No way would I be using 12 X 12 or strip flooring!!
Peel and stick is a joke!!! Do not even consider it!
Old 02-16-2015, 06:03 PM   #5
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 12

After seven years in this house I still haven't decided on the flooring I want. Currently I am leaning toward a snap together luxury in a stone pattern like this one. The seams are water resistant. I found a good price at a local Menards, although I haven't committed to it yet.

http://shawfloors.com/resilient-vinyl-flooring
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 10:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Last thing you want in a kitchen of bathroom is a floor full of seams.
Sheet linoleum is the way to go.
Do not cheap out, huge difference in quality's.
I have some sheet linoleum floors that are over 20 years old and still look brand new.
Going to need to first lay 1/4" multi ply plywood before any vinyl or linoleum flooring or every seam will show through.
It's installed so the seams do not line up with the joist below, no glue, best way is to use a narrow crown pneumatic stable gun, outside edges get fastened every 4" and 6 to 8" in the field.
No way would I be using 12 X 12 or strip flooring!!
Peel and stick is a joke!!! Do not even consider it!
Thank you for your advice. I cant lay linoleum by myself, so thats out of the question. Its gotta be planks or 12" x 12" tiles. It may not be the best option, but without hiring a pro to do it for me, i dont have a choice. I would like to finish it for under $200.

Anybody have a suggestion on COLOR? Im not debating which product to use, im debating color, which color will look nicest beside the white cabinets and brown accents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement