Need Help! Damaged Wood Kitchen Cabinetry - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-12-2017, 10:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Need Help! Damaged wood kitchen cabinetry

I recently replaced the countertops in my kitchen. The previous owners had a solid surface counter top. When the installers came to install my new quartz, they pulled up the old solid surface including the 4 inch backsplash of the same material. Unfortunately, the previous owners had also attached this backsplash to the side of a wood cabinet that faced a little coffee nook. When they pulled up the backsplash, it left some silicone caulk residue (which I have been attempting to remove with Goo gone caulk remover) and pulled up part of the wood. I am in need of some advice on how to fix this. The other option is to put up a 4 inch backsplash of the same quartz counter I had installed but I am really trying to avoid that. ANY advice is very appreciated! Thank you!
Attached Images

diyer86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2017, 08:19 AM   #2
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 3,526

Re: Need Help! Damaged wood kitchen cabinetry

Is that a solid wood , or a cabinet grade plywood surface.

Might be able to sand it with sandpaper, by hand to get it looking better.

ED
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2017, 08:59 AM   #3
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 5,246

That looks like cherry veneer plywood. If so, you cannot sand the problem away. If you are very careful, you may be able to cut out a piece of the veneer over the damaged spot with a sharp exacto knife and glue in a new piece of veneer. Mind you, I have seen this done on videos, I have never done it myself. Looks pretty tricky, but if you want to try it, you need to get matching veneer, cut the patch, cut the surface to match the patch shape, and glue in. Check out marquetry videos to get some idea about how it is done.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2017, 09:56 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,452

I think id add the backsplash, not a big deal. The wood where the old backsplash was is lighter from being covered up plus the veneer damage. How bout another pic from a bit further back so we can see more of the cabinet above.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
cabinet , kitchen , repair , wood , wood cabinets