Need To Close The Gap Between My New Vanity's Toe Kick And My Tile - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-01-2015, 08:26 PM  

Rewards Points: 2

Need to close the gap between my new vanity's toe kick and my tile

Hello everyone, I am in the middle of a bathroom remodel and in need of a little assistance.

I have just replaced my bathroom vanity which was way too big for my bathroom (the cabinet extended onto the door molding). The home builder basically picked a 22" deep bathroom vanity for a wall that was only 20.5" deep. Fast forward 14 years and I decided it was time to replace it with a shallower vanity.

So I selected a 18.5" deep vanity and removed the old one. The problem is that upon removing the old one I realized the tile ended at the toe kick of my previous vanity. So once I installed the much shallower new vanity whose toe kick ends at 15.5" from the wall I am left with a 2.5" gap in front of the new vanity.

Unfortunately the home was built 14 years ago ad the contractor did not leave me with extra tile to tile underneath the new vanity area. So I need to come up with a clean looking solution to cover the 2.5" gap in front of the current toe kick.

Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to do this? The area between the new toe kick and where the tile begins is 5.5" tall by 2.5" deep and 36" wide.

I've thought about building a new toe kick in front of the current toe kick (essentially bringing the toe kick forward 2.5") by using baseboard molding and mitering the edges to avoid the end grain showing on the corners. Of course that means I will no longer have a toe kick but hey, at least I won't have a 2.5" gap with no tile.

Something tells me there might be a better and cleaner way of handling this problem. If anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate it. Many thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2015, 09:05 AM  

Rewards Points: 996

i would like to see a pic. but as is, i would say get some tiles that match as close as possible, put em in and forget about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2015, 09:06 AM  

Rewards Points: 996

or better yet, replace the whole floor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2015, 11:50 AM  
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 606

Tile with a coordinating color.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rjniles For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (05-14-2015), Yodaman (05-14-2015)
Old 05-14-2015, 07:17 AM  

Rewards Points: 712

Depending upon how far you're willing to go...

Try removing toilet. First determine if toilet is mounted on subfloor and floor tile was cut around toilet (not likely, too difficult). If tile was installed under toilet in places that can't be seen, remove carefully, clean and recut for your vanity gap.
The Following User Says Thank You to diyorpay For This Useful Post:
Arlo (05-16-2015)
Old 05-14-2015, 02:41 PM  

Rewards Points: 5,698

I doubt you will get enough square tile from underneath your toilet to use. The toilet needs the support of the tile as well.

I'm trying to imagine what in your description is "5.5 inches tall".

Anyway, the only decent option I can think of is, as rj said, pick an "accent" tile. Not this exactly, but you get the idea.
http://www.entwineinteriors.com/usin...athroom-floor/

You might want to take out even more tile to pull this off. Actually if you took out some tile very carefully, you could actually do just what's in that picture by moving some of your saved tile around.
Old 05-14-2015, 07:13 PM  

Rewards Points: 1,746

If you post a picture of the tile, someone here is likely to know where to get more.
Old 05-16-2015, 11:10 PM  

Rewards Points: 199

I just looked at a house that had the tub replaced. The new tub left a 2.5" gap between it and the tile and the builder used a trimmed piece of 3" PVC board in the gap. The tile was gray and the tub and PVC were white so it didn't look bad. I think it would be even less obvious at the base of a vanity.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:33 PM  
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 12

Another option would be a mosaic tile backsplash on the wall, with the same matching strip on the floor. It could tie it together and make it look planned rather than patched.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:20 AM  

Rewards Points: 4

Pictures would help us a lot to find the solution for this. But, I would recommend you to choose the matching tile as that of the floor.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:35 AM  
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 606

The poster made this as his first post (and only) on May 1st and has never returned to see our comments. He probably filled the gap with grout.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:08 AM  

Rewards Points: 4
Need to close the gap between my new vanity's toe kick and my tile

Use Matching tiles like Portoro Marble Tile or Portoro Marble Tile etc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement