Mounting An Ikea Cabinet With Deadspace Behind - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-21-2018, 02:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 62

Mounting an Ikea Cabinet with Deadspace Behind

I am installing Ikea cabinets for our kitchen renovation. We have an angled wall that will hold three full height (80" tall) pantry cabinets, from left to right: 1) 15"w x 15"d broom closet, 2) 30"w x 24"d pantry, and 3) 15"w x 24"d pullouts. The leftmost cabinet (broom closet) is 9" shallower so it clears the corner. What is the best way to block the leftmost cabinet to the wall so it is structurally sound? It will also be fastened to the adjacent 30"w cabinet. It's right rear edge is 9" from the back wall and its left rear edge is about 2" from the wall that runs at an angle to it.

To complicate matters, there is a junction box in the deadspace behind the cabinet, which will be accessible through a panel in the back of the cabinet. The junction box has conduit exiting, and the conduit must go around the back of the cabinet to switches in the far left side panel.

The picture shows the conduit in blue and existing studs in green. Should I build a false wall in an L-shape along the side of the pantry cabinet and along the back of where the broom closet will hang? Can I toggle bolt the wall ends to the existing drywall since there are no studs there, or do I need to remove drywall and insert blocking to tie into? It would be extremely difficult to add blocking at the pantry cabinet side since the pantry cabinet is already installed. Thank you for your help.
Attached Images

kktalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2018, 02:35 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 62

Re: Mounting an Ikea Cabinet with Deadspace Behind

If I build a false "wall" behind the broom closet, can I bolt it to the existing drywall along the full height with these E-Z Ancor toggle bolts (capacity 100lbs)? These are the same bolts I used between studs for the cabinet hanging rails. In the drawing, the toggle bolt locations are in orange.
Attached Thumbnails
Mounting an Ikea Cabinet with Deadspace Behind-togglebolts.jpg  
Attached Images

kktalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2018, 02:42 PM   #3
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,478

Re: Mounting an Ikea Cabinet with Deadspace Behind

Will the broom closet stand on the floor?
If where the blue line is you have 1 1/2" of room just put a high and low 2x4 across the two studs in the wall. from them run a 2x4 to the side of the pantry behind the BC and attach the broom closet to that.
Just screw thru the side of the pantry to the 2x4.

Last edited by Nealtw; 06-21-2018 at 02:45 PM.
Nealtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement