Mosaic Tiles - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-15-2014, 07:36 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,176

Mosaic tiles

Hello,
I found at HD some mosaic tile sheets on sale for $1.83. I believe it's a good price, so I purchased them
They are a mix of glass and stone, on a mesh (12 x 12)
I have few questions:
1) I will install them on the wall in a powder room. Which adhesive should I use? (the instructions mention White latex modified thin set)
2) The wall is currently light blue, and some of the glass tiles seem lighty transparent. Will the adhesive hide the blue color, or should I paint with some white primer (such as Kilz 2)?
3) It's a mix of glass and stone. When it comes to grout, i've read somewhere it's better to apply a coat of sealer BEFORE grouting to protect the stone. Is that correct or not?
4) Anything else you would recommend to install such tiles?
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Mosaic tiles-img_0049.jpg   Mosaic tiles-img_0050.jpg  
french_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2014, 09:14 AM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 558

As you can see the tiles are glazed on the backside to keep adhesive and substrate colors from showing through the glass tile. So no worries there.

If the manufacturer says to use a certain adhesive/thinset product then that's what you use.

Sealing the stone isn't totally necessary with those tiles as long as you aren't using a heavily pigmented grout color like red or blue or green grout.

You would however want to seal everything after you grout depending on what type grout you use.
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2014, 09:19 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
As you can see the tiles are glazed on the backside to keep adhesive and substrate colors from showing through the glass tile. So no worries there.

If the manufacturer says to use a certain adhesive/thinset product then that's what you use.

Sealing the stone isn't totally necessary with those tiles as long as you aren't using a heavily pigmented grout color like red or blue or green grout.

You would however want to seal everything after you grout depending on what type grout you use.
OK, thanks
Is that type of mosaic tile sheet not to painful to grout?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2014, 09:44 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 58

Be careful that the grout doesn't scratch the glass tiles. Unsanded will be safe.
richietile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 02:13 PM   #5
Tileguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by french_guy View Post
OK, thanks
Is that type of mosaic tile sheet not to painful to grout?
Use unsanded grout, you won't have any problems. The bigger issue is getting those sheets to "marry-up" properly. Those inexpensive mosaics aren't usually constructed that well on the backer fabric and the sheets don't always let the fingers come together as they should. It may go well and it may be a fight. Just have to see what happens.
Old 11-15-2014, 02:46 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 7,192

As you are putting them down, stand back and look and make sure the horizontal lines are straight ( not creating a "wave")
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 04:41 PM   #7

How long does it take for the adhesive to keep the tiles in place?
Any good tips to keep them straight and aligned?
Old 11-15-2014, 04:56 PM   #8
Tileguy

How big of area are you going to cover? If you will plan-out where a sheet will fall (horizontally) and snap some "control lines" and stay with them you'll be okay. Measure and measure again. Once you have established some lines stay with them. If you find out the sheets don't want to marry you can stick a sheet to the wall then cut the backer between the tiles with a utility knife and move any tiles that aren't cooperating.

Once that backer gets wet it begins to use its grip. So if you are using a wet saw plan your moves and don't dilly-dally once a mat is wet from the saw. The tiles on a mat won't sag but the spaces between the sheets should have spacers because the whole sheet could droop and run into a lower sheet.

Use the white modified thinset, mix it like toothpaste and everything will stay in place for you for the most part.

I would find a flat place (like a counter top) to lay out several sheets side by side and check for fit so you know in advance what you have to deal with.

Also be sure to use the correct size notched trowel, you don't want thinset purging between the tiles from applying too much thinset. Usually a 1/8" X 1/8" X 1/8" square notch works good. You can find those in the wood flooring department because they aren't usually considered a tile trowel.

Keep a sponge and a bucket of water by your side from the beginning, if you do get some purging wipe it out immediately with a damp sponge. None of this is as difficult as it may sound at first.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:27 AM   #9

I will install on the lower part of the wall: 4 sheets high from the baseboard
It will go all round the room, but it's a small room, so 4 sheets high x 12' = 47 sq.ft
What is the best method to cut around switches and power outlet?
Old 11-16-2014, 11:37 AM   #10
Tileguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by french_guy View Post
I will install on the lower part of the wall: 4 sheets high from the baseboard
It will go all round the room, but it's a small room, so 4 sheets high x 12' = 47 sq.ft
What is the best method to cut around switches and power outlet?
Well there is more than one way to do that. Depends on what you intend to cut your tile with.

May be the easiest for you would be to carve-out a group of tiles and go ahead with the remainder of the sheet, then go back and fill-in later using the pieces you have carved out.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:56 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2

The tile you posted picks of, I have been looking all over for it online. That exact one was at my local HD too, for the same price. I went in to pick it up after taking my measurements and it was gone. They said it either sold or was donated because it was clearance. If I had the name or sku # they could see if another store had it in. I don't have any of that unfortunately. Can you please look at your boxes or receipt and tell me any of the info so that I might be able to find it?

Thanks!
DIY-mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 05:47 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIY-mom View Post
The tile you posted picks of, I have been looking all over for it online. That exact one was at my local HD too, for the same price. I went in to pick it up after taking my measurements and it was gone. They said it either sold or was donated because it was clearance. If I had the name or sku # they could see if another store had it in. I don't have any of that unfortunately. Can you please look at your boxes or receipt and tell me any of the info so that I might be able to find it?

Thanks!
Sure....
Brand: Jeffrey Court
Model: Mountain Top Pencil 12 x 12
SKU# 34647 99465
Old 12-02-2014, 07:18 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,156

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIY-mom View Post
They said it either sold or was donated because it was clearance. Thanks!
If they donated it, it likely went to your local Habitat for Humanity ReStore.

I am in the process of tiling my kitchen, baths and mudroom with donations and leftovers I bought at ReStore. Some great bargains there, if you're not too picky about colors and styles. It is all perfectly good first quality merchandise donated by HD, Lowes, and building contractors.
ZZZZZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 07:23 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 5,696

Practically speaking, you will be fine with a mastic adhesive. Thinset is stronger and water resistant, but those are qualities you need more in a floor or shower than a powder room wall.

I would get some spacers (most likely 1/8") to help you keep things aligned. Mastic will hold the tile firmly in place once you set it, however it's difficult to keep those dozens of gaps aligned properly without using any spacers. I would definitely put one or two reference lines on your wall using a laser or a level, to keep your installation perfectly aligned.

If you want to save the extra step of sealing, I've found products such as Grout Once work well.

Last edited by jeffnc; 12-02-2014 at 07:26 AM.
jeffnc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 08:04 AM   #15

So I should be fine with the AcrylPro stuff?
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Custom-Bu...0003/100112798
Some reviews are saying the dry time is......long!
I used some 3 months ago for a small backsplash with 6x6 tiles. Didn't have any specific problem
Will it be OK with the 12x12 mesh tiles in the original post?
It would be much simpler to use such product....no need to mix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement