Metal Shower Pan Flexing - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-02-2018, 02:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

metal shower pan flexing

I need advice about a metal shower pan that flexes. This is in employee housing on a ranch. About 20 years ago a standard tub was replaced with a tiled walk in shower. Two years ago the tile on the floor near the drain started to loosen. I wasn't told about it at the time. New employee in the house would like the shower floor fixed.

Once the floor tile was removed we discovered that there is some flex in the metal shower pan, so obviously we can't just tile the floor. It is employee housing on a ranch and we usually do repairs like this ourselves as we have a very handy employee and town is quite a distance so it's not easy to get some one out here.

Any ideas why the metal pan flexes and ideas about the easiest, most cost effective fix would be appreciated. The walls of the walk in shower are in good condition. My first thought is to remove the two walls that were added with the walk in shower and go back to a bath tub. But I would like to hear any ideas for fixing the flexing metal pan and tiling the floor.

We really don't care what kind of shower, tub or whatever is put in.

Thanks in advance!
rwhite617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2018, 04:05 PM   #2
Home Repairer

Rewards Points: 468

Re: metal shower pan flexing

The metal you speak of is most likely lead and that is how they made shower pans many moons ago. A flex can be two things, either it is bowed up and flexes down when stepped on, or it is straight and there is rot underneath that is causing the flex. For the proper way to build a shower with preslope can be found here - http://floorelf.com/how-to-create-a-shower-floor-part-1

This would require the removal of some of the base wall tiles and curb to extract the lead pan and begin from scratch.
czizzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2018, 08:23 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4

Thank you, I can see this will take some time and much thought to determine if we want to tackle it. I appreciate your answer and the link.
rwhite617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2018, 08:57 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 17,884

When you can please post pictures so we can see what your seeing and not have to guess about what your dealing with.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:29 PM   #5
Home Repairer

Rewards Points: 468

We can help walk you through it as needed. The link is the most comprehensive I have found so far. I take mine a step further because that is the way I am, but it will yield you a successful shower pan if you follow his lead.
czizzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement