Metal/alum Trim In Shower? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By katit

Old 08-02-2018, 12:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 38

Metal/alum trim in shower?

All, need more opinions on this..
In our bath remodel we have 2 wall pockets. One above toilet (on pic) and second one going to be inside shower with 2 shelfs.

Tile does not have corresponding bullnose. So, we were going to finish all edges with metal strip trim. Just like we did with one above toilet.
Now we need to do shower tile and contractor (different from original) suggests(strongly) not to do trim. He says it will look really bad in 2-3 years. He says those trims do bad in wet areas. Seems like other 3 contractors didn't care about it.

So, is that something he just don't want to do or it is really a problem? He suggests to find matching stone and get it cut/polished on edge to finish off. I have 2 issues with this: Mismatch in color and style inside bathroom.

But I don't want to look at corroded metal in 3 years either..
Attached Thumbnails
Metal/alum trim in shower?-55434871223__1798509c-fcf9-439a-8ec7-3bfea1f46f37.jpg  
katit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2018, 12:41 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,742

Re: Metal/alum trim in shower?

Quote:
Originally Posted by katit View Post
All, need more opinions on this..
In our bath remodel we have 2 wall pockets. One above toilet (on pic) and second one going to be inside shower with 2 shelfs.

Tile does not have corresponding bullnose. So, we were going to finish all edges with metal strip trim. Just like we did with one above toilet.
Now we need to do shower tile and contractor (different from original) suggests(strongly) not to do trim. He says it will look really bad in 2-3 years. He says those trims do bad in wet areas. Seems like other 3 contractors didn't care about it.

So, is that something he just don't want to do or it is really a problem? He suggests to find matching stone and get it cut/polished on edge to finish off. I have 2 issues with this: Mismatch in color and style inside bathroom.

But I don't want to look at corroded metal in 3 years either..
Not sure I agree about them getting ugly because they were in a shower but I would do something different about the bottom one just so the water will drain from the area. And a slight slope on the bottom piece.
Nealtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2018, 12:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
Not sure I agree about them getting ugly because they were in a shower but I would do something different about the bottom one just so the water will drain from the area. And a slight slope on the bottom piece.

Well, there is no bottom yet. Picture sideways, there will be stone shelf (matching countertops)

In shower we will have the same but 2 shelfs. However in shower we will set shelf first and tile around. On pic it's a dry location we just wanted to finish before stone came in. Of course all shelfs will be set with a slope.

So, you think for 2 vertical and top it's OK to be in shower?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2018, 12:49 PM   #4
retired framer

Quote:
Well, there is no bottom yet. Picture sideways, there will be stone shelf (matching countertops)

In shower we will have the same but 2 shelfs. However in shower we will set shelf first and tile around. On pic it's a dry location we just wanted to finish before stone came in. Of course all shelfs will be set with a slope.

So, you think for 2 vertical and top it's OK to be in shower?
The metal is the same as you would find in lot's of shower door frames and such.
Old 08-02-2018, 12:53 PM   #5

Quote:
The metal is the same as you would find in lot's of shower door frames and such.

Shower doors we replaced were about 50 years old and alum frame on bottoms were totally ugly.
Old 08-02-2018, 12:57 PM   #6
retired framer

Quote:
Shower doors we replaced were about 50 years old and alum frame on bottoms were totally ugly.
Key word. fifty
The Following User Says Thank You to Nealtw For This Useful Post:
katit (08-02-2018)
Old 08-02-2018, 12:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Key word. fifty

I know, but I plan to live forever

Seriosly though, if it's going to look like this in 5 years it's no good. OTOH it was bottoms where water were standing. Vertical surfaces were OK
Old 08-02-2018, 01:05 PM   #8
retired framer

Quote:
I know, but I plan to live forever

Seriosly though, if it's going to look like this in 5 years it's no good. OTOH it was bottoms where water were standing. Vertical surfaces were OK
That is why I said you do not want it on the bottom of the cutout where water would sit.
Old 08-02-2018, 01:08 PM   #9

Quote:
That is why I said you do not want it on the bottom of the cutout where water would sit.
Side pieces will still touch bottom shelf. If any water going to stay for longer - it will be there. Where trim touches shelf. Even though shelf will be sloped there is always possibility for some water going down along edge.
Old 08-02-2018, 01:19 PM   #10
retired framer

Quote:
Side pieces will still touch bottom shelf. If any water going to stay for longer - it will be there. Where trim touches shelf. Even though shelf will be sloped there is always possibility for some water going down along edge.
Old 08-14-2018, 02:24 PM   #11

For anyone looking for more info on this. I bought Schluter chrome-plates solid brass trim. It looks like $1mln comparing to aluminum trim. Expensive, but expect it to last much better and it is shiny chrome, just like my other fixtures. Problem solved.
chrisb75 and Nealtw like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement