Master Bath Gut - Advice? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-13-2014, 06:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Master Bath gut - advice?

Hi, this is my first post on this board.

We are in the process of redoing our master bath. This is in a house built in 2006. The original owner requested a bath with no shower and a single sink, instead of a shower/bath and double sinks as was in the original plan. Also, no door, so it's open to the bedroom. We've lived here four years and the master bath has been almost useless during this time. The bath is so shallow, it's like sitting in a puddle, plus most adults prefer showers.

So far I've torn out the old bath tub and the drywall/tile surround. I'm glad I did as I found it was just standard drywall and the tiles had been glued on. Also there was a large block between the sink and tub about 3 feet square, constructed of plywood and drywall, that was just empty space.

I got a new tub and last night had the plumber in and he installed the tub and put in the pipes for a shower. I plan on putting in a tile surround myself, a new tile floor and a double sink.

About two years ago I did our other bathroom. Put in a tile floor, vanity, sink and toilet. It was the first time I'd ever done anything bathroom related. It all turned out fine and two years later we haven't had any problems with any of the work, so I hope I did a good job.

However, this is the first time I've done a bathtub surround and I'd like any advice or things to look out for.

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance!
iowaDIYgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2014, 09:11 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

As a starting point, log on to this site's Kitchen & Bath forum. Tons of good advice there. After perusing the posts you'll mostly likely have specific questions for the pros. Good Luck and congrats on taking on a new challenge!
DIYRemodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2014, 10:03 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,002

Let's see, a bath surround...

First thing is the framing I suppose. Ideally, you want to have a space for tub framed out to 61", then install the tub and sheath the walls with 1/2" plywood.

If it is too late for this, then make a drawing of your tub surround and bathroom and include everything you want:

soap dishes
corner shelves
niches
towel bars
tp holder
grab bars

You want to have backing installed for the grab bars and anything else which you don't mortar on to the wall.

So buy your fixtures first and plan ahead. If you can install the tp holder with some screws into some screw anchors, then plan it so you can screw into the joints and not the tile.

You'll have to decide on a backerboard. I like denshield. Make sure your framing is right for your backerboard as well.

Next you'll want to read up on tiling showers and bath surrounds, choose your tile and grout, and have at it.

Generally, people find it easiest to screw on a ledger board for your second course of tile. If you are using 6" tile, then you place this ledger board so that the lowest point of the tub is 6" or less below this. So if you have an out of level tub, you make all your cuts on the first course and then you go up from there.

Plan your layout so that you have a nice sized tile on the bottom and top. If this doesn't work out well, you can vary the size of some accent tile in the middle. to make it work better.

Hope this helps. Use a urethane or epoxy grout or maybe some laticrete permicolor at least.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cleveman For This Useful Post:
Newguy2015 (11-14-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement