Make Soffit Into Cabinets? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Nealtw

Old 02-23-2018, 09:53 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 180

Make soffit into cabinets?

Just beginning to plan for kitchen re-model - Its a small kitchen - and presently there is a 12" soffit running all around the room - I'm thinking as a way to maximize storage space to make the soffit into cabinets - but am concerned about the aesthetics - the room has 8' ceilings and the present upper cabinets run from the soffit to about 18" above the counter top. I realize that I will need a step stool to access the soffit cabinets, but think that the trade-off in storage space will be worth the effort. Has anyone done this before? Any thoughts?
RumDiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2018, 10:07 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,265

Re: Make soffit into cabinets?

Assuming the soffit is not there for any reason, like for ductwork, yes you could tear it out. You would probably want to use 36" wall cabinets (gains 6") so that you would have room for a crown moulding above the cabinet. A 42" cabinet could be used but there would be no room for trim above, and your ceiling would need to be very straight and level.
XSleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2018, 10:12 AM   #3

Sleeper - thanks for the quick reply - but my plan was to add a 12" cabinet above - not put in longer wall cabinets - although your solution is more direct. I'll be building the cabinets myself - so am not constrained by "standard" sizes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2018, 11:52 AM   #4
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,050

12" tall soffit cabinets are going to have sorta strange doors etc from an aesthetics standpoint.

As you are capable of making your own cabinets, you might try flat sliding doors and painted the color of your existing sofit.... to basically allow storage but still the disgised appearance of a soffit,

I don't know what your present cabinets nor your configuration looks like, just seems like a top row of cabinets on top of your existing may not have a good aesthetic appeal.
Old 02-23-2018, 12:05 PM   #5
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,610

Seen it done with doors that swing up to open, but there is always a chance you find ducts, plumbing, and wiring in there.

Depending on age some old timers have cupboards hanging from the drop,
Nealtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 09:54 AM   #6

Thanks both - MTM - I've thought of disguising the cabinets as sofit - great minds think alike! I've been trying to find software that can be easily learned so I can sketch it out and see what it looks like - but no luck so far.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:08 AM   #7
CNT
er... I aren't a Newbie.

Rewards Points: 454

What have you come up with?

As for me, I took out the soffit and will place with new 36" tall cabinets. My ceiling is exact 8' tall.

Think about it, how would you manage with using cabinets at 7' height? Put antique things in there? Stool around more often then? Don't get me wrong, in your case, it may be brilliant design. No pun intended, but are you tall? What about next possible buyer perspective?

CNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 05:41 PM   #8

Still in the thinking/planning stage - my ceiling height is 8' also - so 36" cabinets might be an option. But still having dead space seems like a waste to me, and yes it would be for stuff we would need maybe once a year. So a step wouldn't be out of the question.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:43 PM   #9
CNT
er... I aren't a Newbie.

Of course, it's your choice. It's just today's trends that those opening gaps between the wall cabinets and ceiling are for aesthetic looks. Supposed to make room look/feel "bigger".

When I took my wall cabinets off and looked at the soffit, then removed it, I think my neck felt more straight (and taller). I still have the other side to do and when looking at it, it makes me move my head lower. LOL Actually, the removal of soffit does look a lot better (and it's isn't even finished with drywall yet).

Now, when we get our cabinets, and put it up, I just hope I didn't made a mistake taking down the soffit. I will have 6" opening (wonder if its kinda small), and I am considering a crown mold later on (which will add about 2", thus leaving the opening to 4"). We will just see how it comes out. At the end, I think it's a winner!
Old 03-09-2018, 11:47 PM   #10

A 4" opening will be a dust and grease collector - I would think it would be better to close it up.
I'm still trying to get the hang of sketch up so I can get a sense of this before committing to it.
Old 03-10-2018, 05:34 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,406

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumDiet View Post
A 4" opening will be a dust and grease collector - I would think it would be better to close it up.
I'm still trying to get the hang of sketch up so I can get a sense of this before committing to it.
Courtesy of Bing images to help your visualization of what you may like...or not like, regarding soffits above wall cabinets.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...B434D6EC4A82D1
Old 03-10-2018, 08:13 AM   #12

Thanks Greg - My thought is to disguise the cabinets as soffit. So above the wall cabinets, there would be a smooth surface with some kind of moulding that would double as a door pull.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:18 AM   #13
CNT
er... I aren't a Newbie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumDiet View Post
Thanks Greg - My thought is to disguise the cabinets as soffit. So above the wall cabinets, there would be a smooth surface with some kind of moulding that would double as a door pull.
with a remote?
Old 03-10-2018, 09:10 AM   #14

No - short step ladder. Soffit would be storage for stuff used infrequently.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
soffit