Make My Own Shower Door? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By SPS-1

Old 02-02-2018, 09:12 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 91

Make my own shower door?

I have access to sliding door sealed units where the seal broke, and the unit was replaced. I've found 'how-to's on splitting sealed units to salvage the glass.

The opening of my shower is a bit over one of the common sizes of units. Firring in the opening with some water resistant material like HD polyethene seems reasonable. The glass is between 1/4 and 5/16" in thickness.

This is substantially thinner than the glass I see used for shower doors. Is there a reason shower glass needs to be close to 1/2" thick?

I know you can't drill or cut tempered glass.
There are epoxies that claim to adhere to both glass and metal.

At first blush then it looks like it would be reasonable to glue one side of the hinge to the glass. This is often done for frameless glass cabinet doors. But I can't find examples of this done for large doors.

Q: Can someone point me at a heavy duty glass door hinge that works on a straight edge of glass?

I can see two possible reasons for the lack of such hinges:

* The slightest mis-alignment of the hinges would result in hinges torquing on their bond to the glass.

* Glass will expand on warming from the shower. The wall won't.

Both problems could be addressed by using gate hardware hinges which have a looser fit, and just lift off the pins. (On expansion the ring on the upper hinge would lift a bit.

But I still see a fairly rigid coupling between the door and the wall. I'd like to put something with a bit more give in there somewhere.

A better idea, I think, is to use some form of fairly low pressure gasket material between the hinge and the glass, something like a dense rubber. This, I think, would mean different adhesives. Most epoxies are not noted for a flexible bond, and the the whole point of this is to give a few mm of flex. If this is workable, suggestions on material for gasket and the adhesive.

An alternative would be to put some form of flexible material between the hinge and the wall.

Another option would be to frame the door. My initial thought on this line was to use the whole patio door. Would take a different door. But patio doors are designed to be supported from the bottom, not hanging from one edge. I suspect that this will sag and fail.

This might be fixable in a non-obnoxious way by bolting strips of aluminum diagonally across the front side of the door.

Anyway, a search on this forum didn't show *anyone* who made their own shower door. Possible?
sgbotsford is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2018, 12:46 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 7,180

Re: Make my own shower door?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbotsford View Post
At first blush then it looks like it would be reasonable to glue one side of the hinge to the glass.
No that would not be reasonable. Need a stronger connection than that. My door is notched for the hinges and clamped to glass with (looks like) a rubber gasket on either side.

Code requires that shower doors have ability to open outwards (in case somebody is disabled in the shower and blocking the door). Commonly shower door hinges open either way, spring loaded to center.

Any glass shop will make you a door. You can try to save a few bucks by giving them all the dimensions, but I would have them measure your shower and install it ---- that way, if anything does not fit, its not your problem.

Last edited by SPS-1; 02-02-2018 at 12:49 PM.
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2018, 01:09 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 708

That door would need to be Tempered or Safety glass under my code.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2018, 01:19 PM   #4

Yeah, but I don't have a couple grand or even $400 for a custom made chunk of glass.

How would you make a shower door on a really tight budget?
Old 02-02-2018, 01:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhaslip View Post
That door would need to be Tempered or Safety glass under my code.
Yes. And if you read my post, the source material is a tempered glass sliding door panel.
Old 02-02-2018, 01:33 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 7,180

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbotsford View Post
How would you make a shower door on a really tight budget?
If would use a shower curtain if I couldn't afford a glass door.
XSleeper, ZTMAN, Nealtw and 1 others like this.
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 04:54 PM   #7
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,476

Close it in to fit an off the shelf door.
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.i...000666767.html
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 08:14 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,744

On a really tight budget I would look on Craigslist for a used one, or one of those recycling centers, maybe one of the ones run by Habitat.
ChuckF. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 08:19 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 708

Quote:
I have access to sliding door sealed units where the seal broke, and the unit was replaced.
Nothing in that quote from your opening post says tempered.
Old 02-03-2018, 06:59 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,406

Along our life's journey, there are times when we just should not do some of the things that at the time...seem so logical and feasible to us.

And in my opinion, a DIY'er building a glass shower door or even retrofitting one, is one of these projects on the not do..... list.
Advertisement

Tags
diy shower door , glass shower door , tempered glass