Loose Shower Head Pipe Fix, Help Needed - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree4Likes

Old 06-27-2018, 10:07 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Loose shower head pipe fix, help needed

Any idea how to best fix a loose shower head pipe in the wall? I've got the tools and pretty handy. Just not sure how to properly cut out the drywall and then put everything back together correctly. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
daniel600x is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2018, 10:19 AM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,478

Re: Loose shower head pipe fix, help needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel600x View Post
Any idea how to best fix a loose shower head pipe in the wall? I've got the tools and pretty handy. Just not sure how to properly cut out the drywall and then put everything back together correctly. Thanks

Some times you can remove the arm and tighten the screws or replace them with one a bit bigger.
Nealtw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nealtw For This Useful Post:
daniel600x (06-27-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2018, 11:00 AM   #3
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,020

Daniel.... Really not much to it.......

Luckily you got drywall and not tile of fiberglass panel to remove....

Basically cut out maybe a 5x5 piece of drywall around the shower arm, screw in the drop ear..... repair the drywall patch...

Do you know how to repair the drywall patch..... plenty of u-tube and google on it.....
daniel600x (06-27-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2018, 11:05 AM   #4
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 3,556

Can you gain access from the opposite wall on the shower wall?

If so you can use a conduit tie down, to anchor the plumbing.

Use a 2X block, and screw the tie down around the riser, close to the top, and if needed replace the drywall there, this saves you from having to retile the shower side.

There is often a repair and replace panel here that just lifts up and away to access the faucet and shower plumbing for repairs.

ED
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 11:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by de-nagorg View Post
Can you gain access from the opposite wall on the shower wall?

If so you can use a conduit tie down, to anchor the plumbing.

Use a 2X block, and screw the tie down around the riser, close to the top, and if needed replace the drywall there, this saves you from having to retile the shower side.

There is often a repair and replace panel here that just lifts up and away to access the faucet and shower plumbing for repairs.

ED
Not really as I have my bedroom on the other side. Don't want any mess there. I think as the previous suggestion to cut 5 by 5 drywall around the shower pipe would make sense the most for me. Thanks guys

de-nagorg likes this.
Old 06-27-2018, 06:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTN REMODEL LLC View Post
Daniel.... Really not much to it.......

Luckily you got drywall and not tile of fiberglass panel to remove....

Basically cut out maybe a 5x5 piece of drywall around the shower arm, screw in the drop ear..... repair the drywall patch...

Do you know how to repair the drywall patch..... plenty of u-tube and google on it.....
Thanks for that. I just completed the step before sending. I may have messed up though as I put one tick coat of the drywall putty instead of two might ones and now I have a large fan blowing at it just not know for how long. Maybe one hour be enough before I can send it. Also, can I delay painting until next week? Does shower steam effect negatively the drywall putty anyway? Here are few pics I took along the way. Thanks for your help

de-nagorg likes this.
Old 06-27-2018, 06:29 PM   #7
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel600x View Post
Thanks for that. I just completed the step before sending. I may have messed up though as I put one tick coat of the drywall putty instead of two might ones and now I have a large fan blowing at it just not know for how long. Maybe one hour be enough before I can send it. Also, can I delay painting until next week? Does shower steam effect negatively the drywall putty anyway? Here are few pics I took along the way. Thanks for your help

The strap should have been copper or galvanized steel, aluminum will not last in contact with the copper pipe.
Old 06-27-2018, 06:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
The strap should have been copper or galvanized steel, aluminum will not last in contact with the copper pipe.
It is galvanized

Nealtw likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to daniel600x For This Useful Post:
Nealtw (06-27-2018)
Old 06-27-2018, 07:05 PM   #9
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,020

YEPPERS..... Daniel....Exactly....

Notice that you did not have a drop ear 90....which would have two integral flanges for a screw.... guess original plumber was short of them that day...

I like to put a rubber or pipe insulation between the strap, primarily to prevent any rattling.....

and as Neal points out... aluminum (dissimilar metals) to copper can result in some electrolisis, but normally a material issue when water is affecting both metals, like in a hot water feed.... where you use a dieelctic fitting that separates two metals.... just for your future knowledge.

But, don't loose sleep.... you'll have many many years before that strap will ever fail again.

I can't tell you how long it will take for the drywall mud to set.... if you used regular mud... it drys by air.... if you used a hot mud, it drys chemically and much quicker.

But both muds will be suseptable to water untill coated with paint... but you out to be able to shower carefully without ruining it... just take longer to dry.

Good going
Old 06-27-2018, 07:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTN REMODEL LLC View Post
YEPPERS..... Daniel....Exactly....

Notice that you did not have a drop ear 90....which would have two integral flanges for a screw.... guess original plumber was short of them that day...

I like to put a rubber or pipe insulation between the strap, primarily to prevent any rattling.....

and as Neal points out... aluminum (dissimilar metals) to copper can result in some electrolisis, but normally a material issue when water is affecting both metals, like in a hot water feed.... where you use a dieelctic fitting that separates two metals.... just for your future knowledge.

But, don't loose sleep.... you'll have many many years before that strap will ever fail again.

I can't tell you how long it will take for the drywall mud to set.... if you used regular mud... it drys by air.... if you used a hot mud, it drys chemically and much quicker.

But both muds will be suseptable to water untill coated with paint... but you out to be able to shower carefully without ruining it... just take longer to dry.

Good going
Great It looks like originally the plumber installed a little Cooper pipe between both wall studs as a support for the shower pipe. It looks like they were welded together and finally the weld gave out. The pipe Anker I installed is galvanized steel so I should be ok. It's been an hour and the parts of the mud are still wet. I guess it should be dry to the touch? I'm planning to repaint the bathroom next week so I'll wait until then. Thanks for your help

Old 06-27-2018, 09:53 PM   #11
JUSTA MEMBER

Your fix is my plan B, very good, when there is no access panel.

That crossbar should have been behind the vertical pipe, or not at all, and a proper connector with the mounting wings , but we get what we get, in repairing some things.

May take at least 24 hours for the patch to dry to a workable consistency (sandable), to apply a waterproofer, before primer and paint.

Just take a quick shower, try to be careful of splashing, and enjoy.

ED
Old 06-27-2018, 10:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by de-nagorg View Post
Your fix is my plan B, very good, when there is no access panel.

That crossbar should have been behind the vertical pipe, or not at all, and a proper connector with the mounting wings , but we get what we get, in repairing some things.

May take at least 24 hours for the patch to dry to a workable consistency (sandable), to apply a waterproofer, before primer and paint.

Just take a quick shower, try to be careful of splashing, and enjoy.

ED
Thanks. Yes, I just read that on the package, it's 24 hours of drying time before the next coat can be put on. For some reason the first coat started cracking during drying process and I'm not sure if that's normal? Tomorrow night I'll put another coat to make the surface flat and even. Plan is to paint by Monday.

de-nagorg likes this.
Old 06-27-2018, 10:46 PM   #13
retired framer

Did you tape the joint?
Old 06-27-2018, 10:50 PM   #14
JUSTA MEMBER

The next to last picture shows mesh "tape", for reinforcing the joint.

ED
The Following User Says Thank You to de-nagorg For This Useful Post:
daniel600x (06-28-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 10:07 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
Did you tape the joint?
Yes I did, actually twice?. The whole thing looks uneven to me. Not an even surface. I'm afraight I might of screw in the drywall plate back in not deep enough.

Last edited by daniel600x; 06-28-2018 at 10:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement