Looks/Feels Like Sand Behind Shower Tile - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-18-2014, 07:03 PM  

Rewards Points: 10

Looks/Feels like sand behind shower tile

I was in the process of preparing the shower for regrouting when a tile came off and I found what looked/felt like sand behind the tile (use to be old cement/ limestone/sand/cement mixture?) The house was built in 1978 and from what I know the shower/tile is original. It was moist and looks like it had chicken wire behind it but most of it has rusted away. I remove some of the sand and found drywall? behind that which was also moist (the paper came off and the white part was soft). My question is without having to replace the everything in the shower, what would be the best method to repair the tile? Should I just pull off everything that is moist and repair the stuff behind the tile (in which how? there is quite a thick layer of the cement stuff)? Or is there something else I should do. We do plan on doing a full bathroom remodel in a couple of years so we don't want to spend too much money now for something that will be ripped out in a few years.
Attached Thumbnails
Looks/Feels like sand behind shower tile-photo-1.jpg   Looks/Feels like sand behind shower tile-photo-2.jpg   Looks/Feels like sand behind shower tile-photo-3.jpg   Looks/Feels like sand behind shower tile-photo-4.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2014, 08:28 PM  

Rewards Points: 17,890

You could waste time doing that, or fix it once for all by ripping everything out and redoing it right.
There is no just fixing a bad install.
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2014, 09:09 PM  
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 558

My friend...what you have there is an old fashion "mudset" shower installation of years past. Back in the day that was the best you could get. That shower has served its useful life and is now ready for the cemetery. There is no saving or repairing what you have there. The walls have become saturated and the bonding aspects of the products used to build the shower originally are giving up and returning to their original state. That's what you should do...give it up. Every dollar you spend trying to renew that old-timer will be a dollar wasted I'm afraid.

You should probably re-think your remodeling plans.
Advertisement