Likelihood Of Water Damage From Lack Of Caulk - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mark sr

Old 10-27-2018, 02:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Likelihood of water damage from lack of caulk

I purchased my first home a year ago and the master shower had most of its caulk missing / falling off. I've never been great at caulking, so I've put off replacing it (and other excuses).

To the uneducated eye (me), it appears that the only thing preventing water from getting between the "tub" and the shower wall is the caulk (which is now mostly gone). This seems like a terrible design. Is there something I am missing? What is the likelihood that there is water damage in the drywall behind my shower? Am I okay to just recaulk the shower?

Appreciate any advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Likelihood of water damage from lack of caulk-img_0287.jpg   Likelihood of water damage from lack of caulk-img_0288.jpg  
nothappybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2018, 02:07 PM   #2
retired painter

Rewards Points: 1,352

Re: Likelihood of water damage from lack of caulk

There is a lip on the edge of the pan that extends upward, that should prevent water from getting thru to the wall behind the tile. Shower surrounds built in the last 30 yrs or so should have cement board behind the tile instead of drywall.
Dave Sal likes this.
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement