Lighting A Basement Bathroom - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-10-2017, 05:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 944

lighting a basement bathroom

I've slowly been working on adding a full bath to the basement of our c1915 Craftsman Bungalow. The issue is I have approx 7' high ceilings in the basement, I think they're a little lower as I'm about 6'2" and with my shoes on my head is only about 6" from the floor joists above. To level the ceiling, I have to add some furring strips, so I'm going to be loosing another 1-2".

Besides maybe going with can lights, I'm looking for options to light this bathroom. My goal is to do my best to keep a period certain feel to the lighting, but I did do can lights in the rest of the basement. I plan on adding vintage looking trim rings to help take some of the modern feel out of them.

The room is pretty narrow at only about 64", but close to 18' long.

Any good ideas? If I go with wall sconces, will they provide enough light if I add 4 on one side to highlight some built in shelves and then another 2 by the built in medicine cabinet above the pedestal sink?

My fear is that if I go can lights, I'll have to just center occasionally through the length of the room, maybe 3 and I worry they won't fee right .
Master Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2017, 10:20 PM   #2
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 3,576

Re: lighting a basement bathroom

Without any diagram or photo, I am going to suggest the sconces as described, with an addition of sconces on the other wall, opposite each shelf unit.

This will allow the shelves to be seen well when looking for something stored on them.

5' 2" x 18', seems like an odd size for a bathroom?

ED
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2017, 11:17 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by de-nagorg View Post
Without any diagram or photo, I am going to suggest the sconces as described, with an addition of sconces on the other wall, opposite each shelf unit.

This will allow the shelves to be seen well when looking for something stored on them.

5' 2" x 18', seems like an odd size for a bathroom?

ED
It is a very odd/long bathroom. I'm working with the space I've been dealt. I'll see about getting a pic, but until I get the side walls more framed up, it'll be a little unclear. I'm currently framing up where a concrete block wall was built so this area could be dug out. At one point, it was crawl space only and open to the rest of the house.

I found these can light rings, so that is what might be the best option.http://twodereks.com/install-decorat...lighting-trim/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2017, 11:45 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,466

Like Mr. Haney said, " have I got a deal for you "

I have at least a half dozen kerosene lamps I'm not using unless I loose elect. power and only one then if the generator won't start. These would fit very well in a 1915 bungalow decor and I'll throw in a pattern for wall mounts, but of course those will be a little X-tra.

I'm estimating you won't need much light as you won't stay in the basement long with that head room.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 03:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorSitizen View Post
Like Mr. Haney said, " have I got a deal for you "

I have at least a half dozen kerosene lamps I'm not using unless I loose elect. power and only one then if the generator won't start. These would fit very well in a 1915 bungalow decor and I'll throw in a pattern for wall mounts, but of course those will be a little X-tra.

I'm estimating you won't need much light as you won't stay in the basement long with that head room.
I think it'll be the exact opposite. I plan on putting a large 65"+ TV down there, I have a wet bar and I'll likely put a ~22-26" TV in the bar area. I will be claiming the 'family' room on the main floor back and eliminating the TV from that room and having some old 1920-30's Parlor Furniture re-upholstered and put in this room. If the kids want to watch TV, that's where they will have to go!

Sorry, but this house was wired for electricity when new! I think I'll stay with it, but you are more than welcome to send me the kerosene lamps!!!

**I do understand what you are saying about the height, but people live in houses with 8' ceilings and are happy....I'm used to my 9' ceilings in the rest of the house and wouldn't happily give them up! The basement will be very nice so we'll deal with it!
Old 10-11-2017, 09:17 PM   #6
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 2,018

I'm not sure if this space is intended to be a bathroom (post 1) or a man cave (post 5). Regardless, I'd go with wall sconces or perhaps a combination of both. If you go with ceiling cans, I can guarantee you will need more than 3. Many can packages usually have a projection diagram on them and you can possibly find something on the Interweb. You will also want 'task' lighting at the sink. Keep in mind the need for ventilation as well.
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 04:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenaitch View Post
I'm not sure if this space is intended to be a bathroom (post 1) or a man cave (post 5). Regardless, I'd go with wall sconces or perhaps a combination of both. If you go with ceiling cans, I can guarantee you will need more than 3. Many can packages usually have a projection diagram on them and you can possibly find something on the Interweb. You will also want 'task' lighting at the sink. Keep in mind the need for ventilation as well.
The space I'm trying to light is a bathroom, per post 1. Post 5 was talking about the basement in general due to the comment of not spending time down there due to low ceiling.

For the sink, I already have wiring for wall sconces in place. As I make forward progress and get the walls rocked in, so the space behind the knee walls is no longer absorbing the light, I should start to get a feel for how much light I'll need as well. Right now I have a 4' double 40w bulb CFL Tube fixture on the front half and it lights things up pretty nicely and that's currently also covering a large portion of area that will be behind walls. I figured a 75-100w LED Flood in a Can fixture would come close to filling most of that space, but maybe I'm wrong. I won't drywall the ceiling until the walls are done, so that will allow me some flexibility to alter if I go with the cans and the ring I linked to. Maybe I'll need 4 cans and if I can nicely work in some other sconces I might try. I just worry it'll look too busy, but sconces are supposed to be great for low ceilings to help make them look higher.

I'll also have a built in make-up vanity near the back end of the bathroom and it'll be well lit. Then for the shower, which also will be back there, I'll likely add a double bulb heat lamp/vent fan just outside the shower and a light in the shower area. I also plan on a vent near the toilet to help with odors and/or to help with humidity from the shower, so venting has been and will be well taken care of.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:29 PM   #8
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 2,018

Sounds like you have it well in hand. Since you haven't drywalled the ceiling yet, you could temporarily tack up the lights to see how they do. You won't have the benefit of the white ceiling surface but it should be close.
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement