Level Floor Or Put In A Transition? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-03-2012, 11:36 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Level floor or put in a transition?

Hi,
I'm taking out a wall to open up our kitchen and living room. We are going to install laminate flooring in both rooms and the hallway. The kitchen floor has about 1/4" plywood subfloor and is higher than the rest of the house where the new flooring is gonna be laid. I say to add subfloor to the rest of the house to level it out. The Beau says just leave it and add a transition piece that slopes a bit to meet the floor in the living room. My way costs more but I think it would look better. We are trying to do this as economically as possible but I don't want it to look cheap. The flooring wasn't cheap so I wanna do what is right. The new open area will have an island in it so the transition would be on 3 feet of each side of the island. Any thoughts?
yurtgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2012, 05:53 PM   #2
Pro

Rewards Points: 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtgirl
Hi,
I'm taking out a wall to open up our kitchen and living room. We are going to install laminate flooring in both rooms and the hallway. The kitchen floor has about 1/4" plywood subfloor and is higher than the rest of the house where the new flooring is gonna be laid. I say to add subfloor to the rest of the house to level it out. The Beau says just leave it and add a transition piece that slopes a bit to meet the floor in the living room. My way costs more but I think it would look better. We are trying to do this as economically as possible but I don't want it to look cheap. The flooring wasn't cheap so I wanna do what is right. The new open area will have an island in it so the transition would be on 3 feet of each side of the island. Any thoughts?
What's under your 1/4" ply? If you take that up then will you be level with adjacent rooms?
JetSwet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JetSwet For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (06-03-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2012, 08:55 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Well, I can't tell. We currently have laminate flooring over the old vinyl flooring over the plywood. I won't know till we take up the laminate so I can access the plywood to remove it. But from what I can tellit looks just like the tile we found under the carpet we tore up in the living room. It's old50-60s linoleum tile. I guess I could take up the sub floor and then it would all be level. Never thought of that, thanks!! Us newbies to DIY don't seem to see the most logical sometimes ??
yurtgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yurtgirl For This Useful Post:
JetSwet (06-04-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement