Is Leaving 1/4" Between Bath Flange And CBU Necessary? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-21-2019, 06:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 88

Is leaving 1/4" between bath flange and CBU necessary?

Hey there. first time doing a bathroom remodel.
i hung the CBU so that the bottom of it rests on top of the flange. i realized after this is maybe not the best method since I've seen most CBU jobs leaving the gap for what i presume to be space to leave a strip of silicone. my CBU butts up very tight right on top of the flange.
my plan was to use a strip of tape over the gap and Redguard the whole strip similar to this. https://www.diytileguy.com/tile-tub-flange-gap/
tile would then hang down securely to the tub.
question is this an adequate waterproof method or do i need to cut the 1/4" gap.
thanks!
godblsmnymkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2019, 04:41 AM   #2
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 2,458

Re: Is leaving 1/4" between bath flange and CBU necessary?

Ideally you would have installed a 6 mil vapor barrier behind the cbu and allowed it to extend into the tub slightly. You would, then, install the cbu on the walls allowing it to sit directly on the tub/shower flange, then cut the VB about 3/4" below that flange top. Your tile will cover it and any moisture that comes down the VB will exit into the tub/shower. I prefer to have a tight, but not caulked joint at the tub/shower to allow moisture to exit into the area, but others like caulked joints, so it is a toss up. I don't think you will experience any problem doing it without all the RedGard, etc. There won't be any wicking with your tile overhanging the cbu like you describe.
Attached Images

Last edited by chandler48; 04-22-2019 at 04:43 AM.
chandler48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2019, 04:21 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 88

Re: Is leaving 1/4" between bath flange and CBU necessary?

tyvm for the reply. unfortunately, i only have a VB across the wall behind the bath and not on to the bath flange as well which is why i wanted to go the tape and redguard the flange connection with the CBU. what do you think?
godblsmnymkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement