Kitchen Wall Covered By Sheetrock - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-27-2012, 04:17 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

kitchen wall covered by sheetrock

Hi,
I just moved in to an old1800's house. The kitchen is ugly,small, and has no space. I would like the kitchen to look half way decent on a low budget .One of the walls in the kitchen has a fireplace brick type wall hidden by sheetrock, I know this because there is a hole on the other side of the wall in the adjoining room. The kitchen wall is approxmately 5-6 feet wide( the entire wall is not 5-6 feet wide,only that portion) and approximately 10-12 feet in height to ceiling. Between the sheetrock and brick there is a space approximately 5-6 inches deep. The is no insulation between the two walls,just empty space and I would like to expose the brick My question is...is this possible? and if I knock out the wall , will I have a gap between the kitchen floor and wall and will I have a gap between wall and ceiling and is it easy to fix? Is this a some what easy fix if I do have gaps? Is it expensive and difficult? Can I do it myself? I do not want to take the wall down until I know what the job entails. I really do not want this wall there since I saw the nice brick. Any helpful advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks again Ken
Laura774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2012, 08:11 AM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 4,134

1) the brick "wall" is likely to be a chimney.
2) hire an architect.

A few (hundred) dollars for a consultation, site visit and some basic sketches showing where (and how!) your existing structure can support new/different walls as well as what repairs are likely to be prudent before beginning any changes.

A few (hundred) dollars more with a civil engineer may be called for as well

Once you have this basic plan (and repair prescription)... THEN you can consider which elements you can manage and which you'll need to contract out.

You may even decide to have a set of plans created for a full on renovation. Even if you won't do everything all at once... you can avoid doing things twice.

hth

Last edited by TarheelTerp; 02-27-2012 at 08:14 AM.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2012, 10:45 AM   #3
Stay-at-home GC

Rewards Points: 500

Agreed. With a place that old you could be dealing with any sort of strange structure.

My first concern would be that the wall was added as a Load Bearing Wall as the structure to the brick began to fail.

Course I wasn't framing anything in the 1800's so I can't say for sure

If that is not an option (money) start with your camera and post a LOT of pictures to this thread. Once we see what you have we'll have more suggestions.

Thanks

Some days, my Life needs a Rewind/Erase Button.
CplDevilDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2012, 10:48 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 77

Well, before we can answer you as to whether it is a tough or easy job and whether you can do it yourself, you have to let us know how experienced you are. This sounds like one of those "Renovations Gone Wrong" episodes on DIY Network. Don't try this at home, if you are not experienced. For an experienced crew, this is not a hard job. All I am saying is know how to swim before you jump into the river.
MNsawyergp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:23 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

Pics would help a bit, maybe open up one section so you can see what would need to be done to make it work. Then if you don't want to do it you can patch it.

Sounds like one of those jobs where the thing to do is take down the drywall, then decide what to do with it. If you lack experience with this stuff, then plan on it taking awhile and having to learn, or consider having a contractor in for an estimate.
chrisBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement