Kitchen Venting Over Rental Range - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-29-2016, 02:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

Kitchen venting over rental range

I am in the process of doing some upgrades on a little rental cabin I own. It's a really cute little place in a woodland setting -- 660 sf studio layout. I'm adding a dishwasher, a new bathroom vent/heater light, and am thinking about putting some kind of simple venting over the range as it does not have anything at this time.

The range is next to a half wall, so any vent that would go over it must be attached to the ceiling. I really would rather not put a big, low hanging island type range hood in at all. The space is better suited to a flush mount or recessed option.

It can be single speed for the fan, but I'd like the light and the fan to be able to be operated independently with a switch on the wall. I've seen a couple Broan options that people generally put in Bathrooms that seem like they would be just about right for this situation: Inexpensive, unobtrusive, get the job done adequately. What I am wondering is whether anyone might have some feedback as to whether those type of vents can be used in a kitchen situation. I do want it to vent out of the house/roof via flexible pipe. But I'm a little worried about grease build up and maintenance (cleaning.)

I have a Broan light/fan in a bathroom already and though the fan is a little loud, it does a really good job of removing steam. I clean it by removing the lights and vacuuming and wiping it out periodically.

Looking forward to your feedback and ideas and appreciate your time.
MMWV58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2016, 02:57 PM   #2
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 2,018

Re: Kitchen venting over rental range

A bathroom-style vent could go in the kitchen but they are more intended to vent small rooms, not efficiently remove kitchen odours. Your total space is quite small so a larger fan would probably work, just not that well. The various models advertise their cfm/intended room size for a given air exchange. You can get quiet ones but they are more expensive.

You say the range is "next to" a half wall. If it backs on the half wall, yes, you have a design problem. If it backs on a full wall, you could use a traditional range vent hood and box in the ducting.

I don't recommend flex ducting for the reasons stated. If you run it horizontally towards a wall, avoid low spots that will collect grease.

You can switch the fan and light separately by running 14/3 cable.
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lenaitch For This Useful Post:
MMWV58 (07-29-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2016, 03:38 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4

Thanks so much, lenaitch! It would be possible for me to vent strait up through the roof. This will be my first time installing a fan like this... I wonder if the Broan fans can be vented with ridged pipe?

And, yes, the range abuts a half wall so I'm limited to a fan in or on the ceiling. This is a really small kitchen -- efficiently designed for the most part, but small: less than a 100 sf. More like around 70 -- 75 sf. So I bet a strong fan would be adequate as long as I handled the venting correctly. The space directly above the little range does not have a designated light source, either, so I figure I could kill two birds with one stone by going this route. I've attached a photo of the space showing the stove and the ceiling above it.

I lived in this little cabin for a while while I remodeled my main house and not having any sort of venting directly above the range was a pain. The least little puff of smoke and the smoke detector went off! The entrance to the cabin is right at the kitchen, so I just had to leave the door open to vent. Kind of a pain if the weather's cold... LOL! Rustic, but a pain.
Attached Thumbnails
Kitchen venting over rental range-cabin-kitchen-shot-1.jpg  
MMWV58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2016, 03:54 PM   #4
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 2,018

Ah yes - the picture helps. Cute-looking cabin. At 660 sq ft. total area, you should be able to get a ceiling fan that will do a decent job; not as great as a range hood but close. Check the specs of the various models. You will probably need one of the larger available. Spend the extra bucks (and maybe check on-line reviews) to get quiet. As far as I know they are compatible with rigid metal pipe. An advantage of rigid pipe is s smoother profile to improve airflow.
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
ceiling vents , fan vents with lights , kitchen venting