The Kitchen Remodel Work In Progress - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By andr0id
  • 2 Post By andr0id
  • 1 Post By Nealtw
  • 1 Post By andr0id
  • 3 Post By andr0id

Old 11-06-2018, 06:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 164

The Kitchen Remodel Work in Progress

We started this project on July 25th when we started tearing out the existing cabinets, drop ceiling and pantry. We also replaced insulation and drywall due to pest and water damage.

Everything is being built from 3/4" and 1/2" birch or maple veneer ply with maple edge banding. Drawer are made from 12mm Baltic birch and the big lower drawers will be 15mm.

The faces will be shaker style maple with a light cinnamon colored finish. We are using Rubio Monocoat for the finish.

Microwave is going away, I have a Sharp over the counter model to install in its place.

Here you can see the overall progress...

First cabinet was the lazy Susan corner unit to anchor the main L section, followed by the sink cabinet.

Then I have most of the base cabinets built and sink and appliances are in place and working.

I've put in my pantry unit and I am starting on drawers now.

We are living in it while rebuilding which creates a great deal of chaos.
Attached Thumbnails
The Kitchen Remodel Work in Progress-20180929_203417_hdr.jpg   The Kitchen Remodel Work in Progress-20181002_214145_hdr.jpg   The Kitchen Remodel Work in Progress-20181013_142119_hdr.jpg   The Kitchen Remodel Work in Progress-20181022_125800_hdr.jpg   The Kitchen Remodel Work in Progress-20181101_134434_hdr.jpg  

The Kitchen Remodel Work in Progress-20181106_081416_hdr.jpg  
Mrbuilder and Nealtw like this.
andr0id is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2018, 06:41 PM   #2

Re: The Kitchen Remodel Work in Progress

This is looking back toward the front of the house. Cabinets on the window side are 18" deep or they would overlap the windows. The one beside the fridge is assigned to be the liquor cabinet.

The range and two drawer stacks are on the opposite side from the sink and dishwasher
Attached Thumbnails
The Kitchen Remodel Work in Progress-20181024_213453_hdr.jpg   The Kitchen Remodel Work in Progress-20181022_125813_hdr.jpg   The Kitchen Remodel Work in Progress-20181024_213538_hdr.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2018, 08:55 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,102

Looks like it's coming together nicely. Looking forward to seeing the project when it's done. Thanks for posting.
Dave Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2018, 09:17 AM   #4

I've finished all 15 drawers.

The center and top drawers are 12mm baltic birch with 6mm bottoms.

The lower drawer is 15mm with 12mm bottom for extra strength since that's where the heavy items will go.

I used the Porter Cable dovetail jig to make all the half blind dovetails.

They are finished with Rubio monocoat. We used 1:2 ratio of cotton white to pure to maintain the light color of the birch.

The smallest is about 15" wide and the large stack is about 30" wide.

I used Salice Futura self-closing slides and I'm really please with how well they work. They slide perfectly even with the biggest, widest drawer loaded down.

I'm getting my countertops installed on Wednesday, which should make it look more like a real kitchen.
Attached Thumbnails
The Kitchen Remodel Work in Progress-20181119_183212_hdr.jpg   The Kitchen Remodel Work in Progress-20181126_090018_hdr.jpg  
Dave Sal and Mrbuilder like this.
Old 11-26-2018, 10:02 AM   #5
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,874

Looking good, nice work.
Dave Sal likes this.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 10:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by andr0id View Post

I used the Porter Cable dovetail jig to make all the half blind dovetails.

About 20 years ago my dad and I wanted to learn how to make dovetails. We bought a jig, similar to the Porter Cable you mentioned, and played with it for a couple months. Neither of us got the hang of it and gave up, as both of us were working and didn't have the time to really get into it. I still have the jig somewhere in the garage.

Your drawers look "store bought" and make me wish I knew how to do that. Any tips you'd care to provide?
Looking forward to seeing your countertops.
Old 11-26-2018, 11:01 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 7,230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Sal View Post
About 20 years ago....

These days, I got a instruction DVD with my Leigh Jig. Probably can find a Youtube video too. And if all else fails, could read the instructions.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 11:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPS-1 View Post
These days, I got a instruction DVD with my Leigh Jig. Probably can find a Youtube video too. And if all else fails, could read the instructions.

I doubt I even have the manual that came with the jig. I've also watched a bunch of Youtube videos and they still leave me scratching my head. Maybe I'll keep searching for more vids and hope that one actually sinks in one day.
Old 11-26-2018, 06:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Sal View Post
About 20 years ago my dad and I wanted to learn how to make dovetails. We bought a jig, similar to the Porter Cable you mentioned, and played with it for a couple months. Neither of us got the hang of it and gave up, as both of us were working and didn't have the time to really get into it. I still have the jig somewhere in the garage.

Your drawers look "store bought" and make me wish I knew how to do that.
Any tips you'd care to provide?
Looking forward to seeing your countertops.

Thank you, Dave.

My biggest fear is that I'm going to finish my kitchen and it's going to look "homemade". (In the worst sense.)

This video is probably the most comprehensive on using the Porter Cable to make half blind dovetails. I did mine almost exactly the same way. I do use a bit of cut offs to make a few test joints first though. Also I bought the replacement carbide bits rather than the using the bits that came with the tool.

It's easy to forget the notes on the side of the jig, honestly, they're almost better than the paper instructions which are much harder to figure out.

Also, if you make your drawers X-1/4" tall, they will come out with even half sockets on each end.
Nealtw likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to andr0id For This Useful Post:
Dave Sal (11-26-2018)
Old 12-05-2018, 11:42 AM   #10

We got the countertops installed last week.

This is Viatera which is a synthetic quartz material. (Like Silestone, but made by LG.)

They were done by Alpha Granite in Austin and they did a fantastic job. Everyone from AG was extremely professional and knew exactly what they were doing. Unfortunately, that's rare now.

The sink cutout was pretty much perfect.

In the corner picture, you can just barely see the joint between the two large slabs.

I'm also about half way done with the floor. 16x24" tiles are really a pain in the ass to put down, but the Ridgid levelers are working great.
Attached Thumbnails
The Kitchen Remodel Work in Progress-20181205_112757_hdr.jpg   The Kitchen Remodel Work in Progress-20181205_112930_hdr.jpg   The Kitchen Remodel Work in Progress-20181205_113002_hdr.jpg  
SPS-1, Nealtw and OutbackAnnie like this.

Last edited by andr0id; 12-05-2018 at 11:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement