Kitchen Remodel Tile Floor + Dishwash - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-09-2012, 08:34 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Kitchen remodel tile floor + dishwash

Hi all,
Currently remodeling my kitchen which has linoleum flooring (very thin) so no problem installing my dishwasher the first time.
My concern is when I try to install it after the remodel is done. the floor will be a little higher than the current floor (due to the tiles).
I am stripping the flooring down to the planks. Going to be installing new ceramic tile (along with installing a new sub-floor and backerboard) after the new cabinets and counter top is install.

what should I do to make sure that there is enough room to install the dishwasher under then new counter top? Install flooring (plywood) under where the cabinets are going to be install to make sure the height will equal the height of the tile flooring that will surround it? Or is there a standard thing to do? Or am I think about this too much and it should be fine.

Thanks very much!

PS. Sorry if my explanation is confusing.
DingoAce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2012, 08:48 AM   #2
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

I think you said that you were installing the floor AFTER the cabinets and counter top---

Why? Install the floor first--then the cabinet and top---

If you really want to do it in that order for some reason--place plywood under the cabinets that is the same height as the finished floor--

Floor first is the easy way---what is the advantage to installing the cabs and tops first?
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2012, 09:07 AM   #3

Hi mike,
thanks for reply. I figured that was the best way to do it so that the tile can be brought right up to the cabinets. We wouldn't tile under the cabinets, so wouldn't I have the same problem either way?
Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2012, 09:31 AM   #4
Retired Moderator

Why not tile under the cabinets? At least extend the full tile under the front of the cabinets--saves cutting---shim the back of the cabinets if you don't want to waste the tile--

Dish washer area should be tiled,so water will run out on top of the floor if the machine ever leaks.

I do not like to tile around brand new cabinets---to much cutting and to many chances of scratching the expensive cabinets--or spoiling the finish with thinset or grout---

It is a matter if efficiency and finished looks---with the tile under the toe kicks--there are no cuts or gaps there that would need to be hidden by shoe moldings---simply install the new toe kicks tight to the floor.

It is faster to install the cabinets,also---no cutting plywood risers to lift the boxes up to the finished floor height.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:52 AM   #5

Thanks again Mike! I will talk to the cabinet and flooring guys about your suggestions, which make total sense. Especially the full tile under the front of the cabinets.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:56 AM   #6
Retired Moderator

I am a kitchen and bath remodeler---Neat results and speed are key words---

Floor should be cheaper to set---cabinets cheaper to install---Mike---
Old 04-09-2012, 10:00 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 81

IF you have the floor under the cabs, what happens when you want or need to replace the floor? Even if you crack a tile that happens to be the one that is under the cabinet, how do you fix something like that?
Total Tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:51 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 17,890

A Toe Kick saw with a diamond blade with cut it even with the toe kicks.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:09 AM   #9
Retired Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Tool View Post
IF you have the floor under the cabs, what happens when you want or need to replace the floor? Even if you crack a tile that happens to be the one that is under the cabinet, how do you fix something like that?

Remove the toe kicks and pop out the tile--or remove the cabinets--

Properly installed the tile will not need replacing before the cabinets are out dated.
Advertisement