Kitchen Quartz Island Countertop Overhang Concerns 12+", Need Help. - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By de-nagorg
  • 1 Post By Daniel Holzman
  • 1 Post By JazMan

Old 09-11-2016, 06:53 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 238

Kitchen quartz island countertop overhang concerns 12+", need help.

Morning all. So we are remodeling and have a large island (approx 48x109), we want a 15-18" overhang on the one side, the problem is we have functioning 12" deep base cabinets on that side and I have been told that the corbles or brackets will not work in that application. 12" is too shallow especially for everyday use and eating and I really need to fine a way to make this work. I've asked my cabinet company and they aren't familiar with any thing. I've asked a few countertop people who said they'll have to make a decision upon template, but I don't want to wait until the end to have an answer.

See attached layout (this was done with only a 12" overhang, but we do not want it, we wanted to come out maybe from 12" at the end/edge arching/curving out to 18" in the middle, if that makes sense).

THOUGHTS? HELP? ADVICE?

Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Kitchen quartz island countertop overhang concerns 12+", need help.-island.jpg  
nutshellml is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2016, 10:58 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 748

Re: Kitchen quartz island countertop overhang concerns 12+", need help.

Hi,

I don't see why you think 12" is not enough, it's the recommended number as far as I know. You'll need additional supports to go with a deeper overhang.

My island granite top is 48"x120". the long side has a 13" and the end an 11" overhang.

You might be able to go deeper since you're using quartz. You should consult the quartz fabricator. Remember you're always on your own if something breaks regardless of the amount.

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2016, 11:18 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,154

For island/peninsula seating, the recommended overhang depth depends on the counter height. 15" for a standard 36" high counter, at least according to this source:

http://stonehavenlife.com/kitchen-se...ace-do-i-need/
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2016, 07:14 AM   #4
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 3,574

Maybe a decorative stone column. in the center of the overhang.

Recessed a foot or so as to not be a trip hazard.

ED
MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.
de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 06:59 PM   #5

So after chatting with folks, fabricators, cabinet makers, and quartz manufacturers, I found the reason of the 12" rule is because of liability to some degree and counterbalance, not that it will break or crack, which I originally thought. I was ultimately assured that the weight of the countertop and the size, having a 16-18" overhang even if you stand on one end will not tip the entire countertop.
Old 09-13-2016, 07:39 PM   #6
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 5,246

Is your concern the possibility that you could tip the island over by applying pressure to the edge of the overhang? If that is the concern, you could anchor the island to the floor. I would think the concern is that you could crack the quartz.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 07:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
Is your concern the possibility that you could tip the island over by applying pressure to the edge of the overhang? If that is the concern, you could anchor the island to the floor. I would think the concern is that you could crack the quartz.
Yes, the concern is tipping by applying pressure. I contacted the quartz manufacturer directly and they said that cracking is not a concern, I've also heard that from others. The concern is the counterbalance, but then I spoke with a fabricator, who i felt very comfortable with that stated because of the size of the island I won't every be able to tilt/tip it over, and they also apply an adhesive. So that was/is my concern.
Old 09-13-2016, 09:03 PM   #8
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 748

Tipping is not a concern, I didn't even worry about that, it's not gonna happen. And as I said, since you're using quartz, that changes the rules. You confirmed with the manufacturer and I also think you're good.

To others thinking of doing the same with their granite....don't, it's a different spec.

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement