Kitchen Exhaust Fan/duct Design Dilemna - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-10-2017, 04:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 6

Kitchen exhaust fan/duct design dilemna

So we are in the middle of a long kitchen remodel, have been kind of chipping away at it as we can. We're getting to the point where we are thinking about a new range hood for our stove. Currently we have an old under cabinet fan that doesn't go anywhere, it's just the circulating kind and it's awful. We'd like to have a proper exhaust outlet and everything but are trying to figure out what is actually feasible.

Our house is a contemporary post and beam, so we have exposed rafters that look right up to the underside of the pine floors of the second floor. The stove backs up to the wall that is shared with our downstairs bathroom, it's not an exterior wall, so we'd have to run some duct work along the top of the wall towards the exterior wall. About 6 feet total distance. The problem is that if we went straight all the way up and then over, we'd be going straight through one of the cross beams of the house, which I'm fairly certain are structural. The obvious solution would seem to be to drop the duct work so it doesn't run up against the very top of our "ceiling" but we're trying to maximize some shelving space and I'd rather not lose a potential row of shelves to duct work.

But basically want to know if it's okay to drop the duct work back down a bend so it can exit out below the cross beam. I've seen pictures of kitchens that have a similar amount of bends, but just unsure what kind of problems it might come with, or if we're just assuming it's a problem when it's really not.

Thanks for any help!
RenegadeJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2017, 09:42 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,054

Re: Kitchen exhaust fan/duct design dilemna

I wouldn't run it without an upward slope the whole way. I'm sure there's a way to run it properly if you're willing to go to one or the other side to avoid the beam and bathroom.
clarenceboddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2017, 01:58 PM   #3

Going to the right of the stove is the only real option. Going left goes towards the living room dining room. Across from the stove and to the right are the only exterior walls nearby.

I have a picture with a mock up of what we want to do, but the forum still isn't letting me share links.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2017, 04:49 PM   #4
Breakin' Stuff

Rewards Points: 1,360

If you size it properly you shouldn't have any problems. 6' is not all that far.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:54 PM   #5

Here's the mockup of what we were hoping to do, and also the shelving situation we're trying to work around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement