Kitchen Countertop Refinishing? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-07-2014, 02:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

kitchen countertop refinishing?

Has anyone here used or had someone do the "miracle method/reglaze" counter refinishing---or----any of the DIY refinishing kits like Giana or Rustoleum or the peel & stick wall tile products over existing ceramic tile?

I am wanting to do something with my kitchen countertops and backsplash---they are ceramic tile--tile and grout in good shape---just hate the color and cannot afford to have the entire countertops and backsplash tile that goes to the ceiling/up to cabinets all ripped out and replaced---I'm pretty handy and have done some tilework in a small bathroom that came out great--I had no problem with the thinset or grout process.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thank you
lkc001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2014, 08:06 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,494

I don't think there is any product that you can use on a counter top. It sees more use than a tub (tub refinishing, eg), and counter top for kitchen must be food safe. Engineered surfaces may come thin enough to install over the existing tiles. There are 1/4" sheets.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2014, 08:23 AM   #3
Don't WANNA do it myself

Rewards Points: 512

I don't think any DIY or professional kit would work for that, a kitchen counter takes WAY too much abuse.

Fixing the re-muddling one room at a time...
mnp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2014, 09:21 AM   #4
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 12

I know there are several products made to refinish counter tops. But I agree with Michelle. I question how long they would last if you have kids or a careless SO. A lot depends on well and carefully you care for it, butI would consider them a short term solution until I had funds to do it right.

The other consideration is the final look. If you currently have tile with obvious grout lines, it will end up looking like painted tile.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:54 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,002

I would re-tile and I would do it myself and I would spend $4/square foot with epoxy grout and a wood edge. I would use urethane grout on the backsplash.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleveman View Post
I would re-tile and I would do it myself and I would spend $4/square foot with epoxy grout and a wood edge. I would use urethane grout on the backsplash.
Thank you all for your advice---I was suspecting that would be the consensus---so, next issue and questions:

1. Has anyone ever tried to tile over tile?

2. Is it possible, with a lot of time and work--to chip off/break/remove all the old tile/grout/mastic from the countertop without ripping off the old substrate and just tile over the old substrate? My cabinets are in perfect shape and the diswasher was a special order undersink mount (from when the original owner did a partial remodel in the kitchen--and added a dishwasher in an odd place, which also made the cabinet under the faucet soooo small that it is a giant PITA to remove the faucet and sink--that's why I don't want to attempt to rip off the old countertop)

3. Also--If I start taking the tile off the wall/backsplash will this most likely damage the drywall to the point I will have to replace all that drywall?

I think this is going to be a really big project if I have the guts to do it---I cannot afford to have it professionally done unless I can win the lotto.

WHY do people start these remodel projects without REALLY thinking through how hard it is going to be to replace a faucet/sink/dishwasher/countertop in the future??????????????

Thanks for any more instructions/info!!
Old 07-09-2014, 03:21 PM   #7

You have a lot of questions there.

I wouldn't hesitate to tile over one of my countertops. I would simply remove the wood edge, tile it again, and make new wood edging.

I would first be certain that the sink can be lifted up a bit. With a stainless sink, there are those clip things, and there is a maximum countertop thickness for using them, otherwise you might have to thin the edge around the sink.

Regarding a cast iron sink, I just set these in silicone, so it shouldn't be a problem to cut them loose and raise them 5/16" or so after re-tiling.

As for your backsplash, I think you would damage any sheetrock behind it beyond repair, so it would have to be replaced with tilebacker, etc.

It may or may not be possible to remove the tile on the counter without damaging the tilebacker too badly. There is only one way to find out. I think it is worth a try. If some gouges happen, I would just fill them up with mortar before re-tiling.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleveman View Post
You have a lot of questions there.

I wouldn't hesitate to tile over one of my countertops. I would simply remove the wood edge, tile it again, and make new wood edging.

I would first be certain that the sink can be lifted up a bit. With a stainless sink, there are those clip things, and there is a maximum countertop thickness for using them, otherwise you might have to thin the edge around the sink.

Regarding a cast iron sink, I just set these in silicone, so it shouldn't be a problem to cut them loose and raise them 5/16" or so after re-tiling.

As for your backsplash, I think you would damage any sheetrock behind it beyond repair, so it would have to be replaced with tilebacker, etc.

It may or may not be possible to remove the tile on the counter without damaging the tilebacker too badly. There is only one way to find out. I think it is worth a try. If some gouges happen, I would just fill them up with mortar before re-tiling.
Thank you Cleveman for the advice----one more question for you if you don't mind

----there is no wood edging around the countertop---it is all matching bullnose tile, and it has an extra curve in it that the bullnose tiles of today do not have---would you suggest tearing off (as carefully as possible) the bullnose tile ------and replacing with a wood trim after the countertop tile is done?
Old 07-10-2014, 04:27 PM   #9

You could go with bullnose again, or a wood edge. I think if you want to get creative, you can go with a metal edge.

I've done the tile edge once, but I always go with wood now because I can fabricate it easily, it provides a bit of a contrast, and the bullnose pieces of tile are expensive and have to be ordered.
Old 11-12-2016, 02:34 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 14

Re: kitchen countertop refinishing?

I've heard a lot of good things about the "Miracle method" but the local firm from Chicago http://www.aprefinishing.com/ made it for me just cheaper and as well.
Flipo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement