Kitchen Counter Tops - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes

Old 12-16-2016, 09:40 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 355

kitchen counter tops

I am in the process of fixing up my home in order to get it on the market.

My area of concern for this remodel, are the kitchen counter tops. The existing counter tops are your basic laminate counter tops. In two spots, the finish has been chipped away (i think), and over time the area is getting bigger and bigger.

My counter tops are quite long. I obviously want to do as little as possible and/or put as little money in to it as possible. I was thinking of buying the $100 counter tops at IKEA to make it look nicer, on a friendly budget. Without having to do 45 degree cuts at the turns, I thought of the 90 degree turns. I think 45's will make it look better, but I have seen some smaller counter tops with the 90's and it really doesn't look that bad, IMO. But the length and depth of my counters may alter the appearance. maybe.

my counters are the standard 25"-ish deep. at one end, the counter is 36", which acts as a bar, that hangs off of the existing cabinetry underneath. That's the biggie. I either order a custom counter to match what's there, or I replace the counter tops with new, but they would be the 25" deep, I would lose the "bar".

Or on a happier wallet, I could fill in the areas that I mentioned above with "something" and call it a day.

I think replacing the counter tops is the ideal option, but man, that's a good chunk of change.

I will post a picture of the counter tops tonight to show you the area of concern
crankbait09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2016, 09:50 AM   #2
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 9,252

Re: kitchen counter tops

Don't do anything.

The money you put into it will not come back on the sale.

Unless you find a couple that wants a perfect house with nothing to do to it (hard to find), don't spend any money on the kitchen.

If you want to maximize resale.....clean...paint any bad parts. Clean up the yard....then put it on the market.

In my neighborhood, in the past 10 years, every house that was sold/bought, the new owners made substantial changes to it before moving in or right after.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2016, 10:01 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,158

A relatively inexpensive and temporary "fix " is a specialty countertop update kit. Rustoleum makes the best known product but there are several other brands.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleu...8286/202828571
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2016, 10:04 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 4,104

I agree - replacing the counter tops might make your house sell a little faster but you won't recoup the cost. There are so many different surfaces these days many people are going to replace the tops no matter what you have in there and those people are going to buy what you have now.
stick\shift is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 10:04 AM   #5

Having lived in California the majority of my whole life, I know that any house does not last long out there. So I would have to agree with do nothing, or very little.

Since moving to Ohio, where I am now, I have come to notice that there are a lot of homes for sale and their are a lot to choose from. I don't think I could let it stay "as is". Maybe that's just my ass backwards way of thinking, but I think I need to fix it up a tad. It won't take much other than paint and a few repairs.

I'd love to not touch the counter tops. Cause that could possibly mean a new sink and whatever else I break while removing the counter top. (cabinets). So I would have to agree, I am totally against removing them, unless I have to.

I do realize that I won't get the money back I put in to it, but I also have to get what it's worth, just so I can break even or make a small amount and not have to owe anything when it sells. Obviously that's the main goal.

I do like your thought of do nothing though .
Old 12-16-2016, 10:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZZZ View Post
A relatively inexpensive and temporary "fix " is a specialty countertop update kit. Rustoleum makes the best known product but there are several other brands.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleu...8286/202828571
that's almost the same cost as a new countertop, holy crap.

But, when time comes, if I decide to do anything, I may go that route. That's definitely easier than replacing all.
Old 12-16-2016, 10:25 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,158

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankbait09 View Post
that's almost the same cost as a new countertop, holy crap.

But, when time comes, if I decide to do anything, I may go that route. That's definitely easier than replacing all.
Look around the HD, Lowes, etc web sites. The other brands are much less expensive.
Old 12-16-2016, 10:37 AM   #8
JOATMON

I don't see any reason to bother.....chances are the new owners are going to rip out what is there and put in a solid top like granite.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
Old 12-16-2016, 10:41 AM   #9

Ok, I've been convinced. This can be checked off the to do list. Thank you!!
Old 12-16-2016, 12:53 PM   #10
JOATMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankbait09 View Post
Ok, I've been convinced. This can be checked off the to do list. Thank you!!
Good.....

Here is a list of things worth considering

http://www.moving.com/articles/top-ten.asp

Bottom line, if you haven't replaced it by now, then it must not have been that important. No reason to do it for someone else.
SeniorSitizen and r0ckstarr like this.

Old 12-16-2016, 01:01 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,466

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
Good.....

Bottom line, if you haven't replaced it by now, then it must not have been that important. No reason to do it for someone else.
And if you did replace it, your odds of putting tooth paste back in the tube is better than a potential buyer liking it.
r0ckstarr likes this.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 01:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
Good.....

thanks for that link. Best thing about where I am......There is VERY little that needs fixed. It's more cosmetic than anything.

The biggest thing that needs done is the flooring. 3/4 of the house is done. I just need to finalize the floor so it all matches. I bought that flooring already, so that's finally going to be done. Anything after that, would be the lighting and painting. This could be fairly cheap (minus the flooring)
Old 12-16-2016, 01:05 PM   #13

thanks for the insight guys. appreciate it.
Old 12-16-2016, 04:04 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 17,890

Picture of the top would be nice.
I used to work with realtors all the time prepping houses for resale and they drove me nuts.
I drive up into the yard and there's a 4" hole in the siding where there had been a dryer vent with insulation that had been stuffed into the hole to "seal" it.
Look on the roof and there's missing cap shingles, missing shingles, roof sagging where the skylight is.
Railings on the front porch are loose.
All they wanted me to do was repaint the inside.
Old 12-16-2016, 08:00 PM   #15

ok, here are two pictures of the locations that have sent my mind in to a complete counter top remodel I placed a quarter by each area of concern to give you an idea of size

https://flic.kr/p/Q4mYud
https://flic.kr/p/PHnHMo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement