Kitchen Cabinets On Top Of Finish Floor? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-26-2011, 12:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Kitchen Cabinets on top of finish floor?

In a kitchen remodel, should the Cabinets go on top of the finish floor? (vinyl or tile) I've heard different opinions from local contractors/craftsmen on this point.

Thanks,
ken24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2011, 10:43 PM   #2
Military Mom of 4

Rewards Points: 500

In my view it depends on the flooring or your budget - it doesn't really matter. You should decide based on what is more important to you.

If it's expensive: not flooring under your cabinets can save you possibly hundreds of dollars.
If it's thin and cheap like laminate: easier to roll it out to the corners as cabinets set in place just inhibit the use of it.
If it's fragile or easily scratched or messed up: lay the flooring after - any installation of anything can damage it and cause problems which can cost money sometimes. . . nothing sucks more than that!

So - cost, ease of install, preserving the quality. What you do relies on what's more important to you.

I - personally - am doing cheap thin vinyl flooring tiles - to save money (though not much) I won't be putting it under the cabinets and this will also spare me the annoyance of any potential damages - which can be fixed - but not without getting under my skin first.

The only problem that comes from not flooring under counters is water-damage . . . this area should be water-proofed like a bathroom (above code - nontraditional - but an unprotected floor is potential water damage and bucco bucks later on.)

If you're installing a thick flooring (like hardwood or tile) it's common to fill the area under the cabinets with a cheap flooring material (osb, ply, etc) that's the same thickness so you save cost - but the real flooring isn't overlapping too much of the cabinetry which makes it easier to remodel the kitchen at some point.
ken24 (10-27-2011), yurtgirl (06-03-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2011, 07:00 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 5,348

I always put the whole floor down before the cabinets go in.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2011, 07:47 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 582

yes I agree with you ron we also put floor down before cabinets..ben
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement