DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (https://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Kitchen & Bath Remodeling (https://www.diychatroom.com/f80/)
-   -   Kitchen Cabinets (https://www.diychatroom.com/f80/kitchen-cabinets-638703/)

meontheweb 08-11-2018 07:01 PM

Kitchen Cabinets
 
3 Attachment(s)
So we moved into a new place about one-year ago, at the time we were told that the cabinetry would all the way to the ceiling. Well of course that didn't happen. Then we were told that they would close it off to the ceiling to prevent dust/grime build up in the open cavity. And that didn't happen.

Builder can make changes to the spec so long as they tell us - well they told us, and not much we (or any owner) could do.

So anyway I would like to close it off but not sure what the best way is. I don't really want to use drywall because I'd have to tape, sand, finish and paint. Too much work. What other material could I use to close it off right to the ceiling?

My wife has another idea of adding a small length cabinet up there (I suppose we could custom make something) for additional storage and that actually might be a good idea (granted you'd need a stool to put anything up there).

Looking for ideas on what would look good.

Thanks!

ZZZZZ 08-11-2018 07:19 PM

Re: Kitchen Cabinets
 
My cabinets are like that, and I just use the open space for extra storage. It doesn't really need to be closed off. It does get a bit dusty up there, so it's best to not store dishes or pots and pans up there, things that come in contact with food.

But a lot of custom kitchens do have extra cabinets up there. Look around a site like https://www.houzz.com/photos/kitchen for ideas.
.
.

stick\shift 08-12-2018 10:05 PM

Re: Kitchen Cabinets
 
Closing it off with soffit was done in the past but the modern look is to leave the space open like you have it.

Tymbo 08-13-2018 06:59 AM

Re: Kitchen Cabinets
 
How about some up lighting?

w0j0 08-13-2018 07:16 AM

Re: Kitchen Cabinets
 
Trim it out with crown moulding after adding some 5050 LED strip lighting on a dimmer. That's such a small space that I doubt the benefit of additional cabinets will outweigh the cost of custom boxes up there

andr0id 08-13-2018 08:41 AM

Re: Kitchen Cabinets
 
They look shiny. Is that paint or a high gloss melamine?

Two Knots 08-13-2018 09:57 AM

Re: Kitchen Cabinets
 
My cabinets are like that; we made them like that intentionally.
My old kitchen had soffits and I didn't like it.

Anything you try to add on will make it look
like a bad afterthought.

I lined the top of mine with paper so that I just have to change
the paper on occasion.

I like the look you have with the open space...it looks neat and
clean and spacious.

smithdylan715 09-13-2018 07:17 AM

Re: Kitchen Cabinets
 
Have you added high gloss to your list of kitchen cabinet ideas? with the gloss help cabinet easy to keep clean using a soft, damp rag, enhance colour and looks shiny.

meontheweb 09-20-2018 11:51 PM

Re: Kitchen Cabinets
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tymbo (Post 5606261)
How about some up lighting?

That would look cool. I've seen some neat LED light strips that are controlled with a remote, there is under the counter lighting so I could tap into that.

meontheweb 09-20-2018 11:52 PM

Re: Kitchen Cabinets
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by smithdylan715 (Post 5631445)
Have you added high gloss to your list of kitchen cabinet ideas? with the gloss help cabinet easy to keep clean using a soft, damp rag, enhance colour and looks shiny.

The upper cabinets are all high gloss - LOVE IT! So easy to clean. The lower cabinets are not, but they don't get so dirty but we'll use a dry rag on them every few weeks.

meontheweb 09-20-2018 11:53 PM

Re: Kitchen Cabinets
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Two Knots (Post 5606403)
My cabinets are like that; we made them like that intentionally.
My old kitchen had soffits and I didn't like it.

Anything you try to add on will make it look
like a bad afterthought.

I lined the top of mine with paper so that I just have to change
the paper on occasion.

I like the look you have with the open space...it looks neat and
clean and spacious.

Wife made me put paper up there as well... just hate doing that. :-)

meontheweb 09-20-2018 11:55 PM

Re: Kitchen Cabinets
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by andr0id (Post 5606349)
They look shiny. Is that paint or a high gloss melamine?

It is a high gloss melamine, aside from the other crap the builder has put in (or lack of attention to detail) the cabinets are very nice. The high gloss is great as it makes for easy cleaning, especially near the stove.

Nealtw 09-21-2018 03:02 AM

Re: Kitchen Cabinets
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by meontheweb (Post 5637165)
It is a high gloss melamine, aside from the other crap the builder has put in (or lack of attention to detail) the cabinets are very nice. The high gloss is great as it makes for easy cleaning, especially near the stove.

Is the top 4" attached as a separate piece like a molding. if it is you could likely find the manufacturer and have them add something to the ceiling.

meontheweb 09-21-2018 04:36 PM

Re: Kitchen Cabinets
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nealtw (Post 5637189)
Is the top 4" attached as a separate piece like a molding. if it is you could likely find the manufacturer and have them add something to the ceiling.

Yes, it is attached as a separate piece. I've talked to the company that installed the cabinets and they have some ideas they will share with me but looks like the cost will be high, so not sure if we will go ahead with it but good to get ideas and see what it would cost to DIY it instead.

meontheweb 11-07-2018 07:50 PM

Re: Kitchen Cabinets
 
So finally decided we will leave it open. We took a look at another unit in our complex that does have it sealed right to the top and it looks really bad. I'll put down some wax paper or something else inside to it's easy to clean or just leave it as-is and vacuum up there during spring cleanup.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:50 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.