Kitchen Cabinet Refinishing Question - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-26-2016, 10:13 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Kitchen Cabinet Refinishing Question

So - I'm in the middle of refinishing my kitchen cabinets. Right now, I'm stripping the varnish and finish off all the cabinet doors and drawer faces. No issues there. However, I am having some difficulty getting the varnish and finish off of the cabinet trim and cabinets itself.

The product I'm using is Citristrip. Again, this stuff is working no problem for the doors and drawer faces. I laid it on thick as instructed on the packaging. Let it soak for 6 hours and nothing came off except for the citristrip itself. Some areas flaked a bit.

Does anyone have any advice or tips to help expedite this?

Thanks!

-Ryan
rcronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2016, 09:45 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,746

Re: Kitchen Cabinet Refinishing Question

Is it possible that the cabinets themselves are not varnish/stain, but woodgrain foil over some kind of plain basewood or particle board?
ChuckF. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2016, 06:30 AM   #3

They're definitely not thermofoil. Like I said, I was able to remove the finish off the actual cabinet doors and drawers, just not the actual cabinet box. It seems like it is some sort of laminate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2016, 08:55 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 388

I think that is what Chuck is saying. The boxes a lot of times are made with either melamine or some type of veneered ply. It is prefinished and looks great, but you don't refinish it. Typically in a cabinet "refinish" job, you only do the doors and face frame, leaving the rest as is.

You could ratchet it up and use a methylene choloride stripper if you think there is some type of finish to be removed. It is, however, very noxious and you'll need some real rubber gloves to handle it.
1acre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:18 AM   #5

I think that's what it is - veneered plywood. The cabinets themselves were just stained I was able to get to the unfinished wood no problem. As far as painting the veneered plywood, should I just use TSP to clean it, sand it, prime, then paint?
Old 04-27-2016, 09:50 AM   #6

i wouldn't do anything.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:01 AM   #7

Meaning don't paint them at all or just go ahead and paint as is?
Old 04-27-2016, 10:14 AM   #8

if it is a pre-finished veneer, don't do anything. When is the last time you took notice of the inside of someone's cabinets?

Just an aside, pics do wonders.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:25 AM   #9

It most likely is a laminate after the more and more I read the differences between the two. I'm sorry if I haven't been completely specific with what I wanted to paint. Just the cabinet doors, drawers, and outsides. Because you're right...no one sees the insides

Most things I've read about painting laminate is clean the surface, sand with 220 git, prime, and use a latex enamel for the paint.

Here's an image of the outside. The two bare spots are from heavy sanding which is why I think it's laminate.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
cabinets , finish remover , finish stripper , kitchen cabinets , refinishing