Kitchen Blind Corner Cabinet Shelving. - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Fix'n it

Old 08-28-2016, 07:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 117

Kitchen Blind Corner Cabinet Shelving.

I was planning to add one of those fancy blind-corner cabinet, pull-out, half-circle things to improve storage space in our new kitchen reno. The nicest one out there is the Lemans II system. The cost is over $1000 which is a tad high for our budget. Ikea has a product for under $200 called Utrusta, but I had a chance to try it out in a store and the action is not smooth and its weight limit is less. Once the Ikea shelf is pulled out, you can pull it out a few more inches to gain better access to the back and this is where it feels a little rough. The Lemans does much a better job of this.

Question is: do you really get that much more storage with Lemans-type shelving compared to simple pull-out drawers? If you consider the devices to be half circles and do the math for area I get roughly 6.8 sq ft of storage on two shelves. If we simply have two pull out drawers or pull-out shelves I get 7.0 square feet of storage. Now both the Ikea and the Lemans systems are more than a half-circle, so one can add about 20% to both brands which gives us closer to 8 sq ft. Plus the Lemans offers a larger model for 24" wide access while the Ikea device appears designed for an 18" wide. I hate to waste all that space in the corner cabs but the price tag is scary. Any thoughts?

Last edited by akimbo; 08-28-2016 at 07:03 PM.
akimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2016, 08:46 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 996

Re: Kitchen Blind Corner Cabinet Shelving.

i used to have a blind corner cabinet. what i did was put things i rarely used in there.
if you have not purchased the cabinets yet and have the space, get a lazy susan corner cab. we love ours.
jeffmattero76 likes this.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2016, 08:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix'n it View Post
i used to have a blind corner cabinet. what i did was put things i rarely used in there.
if you have not purchased the cabinets yet and have the space, get a lazy susan corner cab. we love ours.
Can't quite do a lazy susan because the adjacent cabinet on the corner is a different and smaller width. And I don't really like having to open a folding door, then after retrieving my object, having to get the notch back in the right place. I though of just doing shelves, but it's quite nasty when you have to retrieve something in the back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2016, 09:21 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 996

Quote:
Originally Posted by akimbo View Post
And I don't really like having to open a folding door,

then after retrieving my object, having to get the notch back in the right place.

I though of just doing shelves, but it's quite nasty when you have to retrieve something in the back.
i was quit apprehensive about the folding door. but we got used to it, and its not an issue now.

no offence, but that is just being lazy.

for a healthy person, its not that bad. and usually it would not have to be done much.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 09:48 PM   #5

no offence, but that is just being lazy.

for a healthy person, its not that bad. and usually it would not have to be done much.[/QUOTE]

Well, that's a bit like saying, take the stairs instead of the elevator . I'm not that healthy and not that young. Have arthritis and don't want to bend down and twist in any awkward positions to get an item out of a deep corner. Having seen what some of the high end hardware can do, it's inspiring. Just hate the price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement