Kerdi Tray Plus Red Gard? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-31-2015, 08:32 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Kerdi tray plus Red Gard?

Ive used the Kerdi system in the past, it seems to work out well, but I didn't love working with it. I recently used Red Gard waterproofing membrane and liked it much better for its painted on quality. It was easier to get into corners, applied quicker in general, etc. Im in the planning stages of a tile shower and was wondering if I could use just the Kerdi foam tray, cover it with a thin layer of mortar smoothed out, then just Red Guard over it. Not sure how compatible these two products/process' are. I could just make a mortar bed and plane it myself if thats the better option, was just curious if anyone had tried this or if this would be a bad idea. Im also wondering if this is cutting cost/time without cutting corners. Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks
Hammerhead716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2015, 08:46 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,456

I've used both the Schluter systems and redguard/cement board, but never intermixed the two. Might work, but myself, I don't like to reinvent the wheel when it comes to tile work, or anything else where you have one shot to get it right. I would choose one or the other. For tiled showers, I like the Schluter setup, I use redguard sometimes when putting in a new tub and tiling around it, or if someone wants a small shower with a preformed base.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to firehawkmph For This Useful Post:
Hammerhead716 (12-31-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2015, 09:20 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 388

as a diy homeowner who is just ok at tiling, I have been converted to wedi. and I can't imagine it is too much more expensive than cbu + redguard when all is said and done. wedi is easy to handle, easy to cut and easy to install. a few extra bucks is worth the time and hassle saved in my situation. wedi also has floors which seem to be a little more flexible than schulter's, although I've never actually worked with the wedi floor. but, when I do my master shower, it will be a mud pan (it will be an odd size) with pvc liner + wedi walls.
1acre is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement