Kerdi System Questions - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-08-2017, 07:25 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 252

Kerdi System Questions

I have a few questions before I embark on a shower install with Kerdi:

Is there a way to build a custom shower niche that will be properly waterproofed, or do you need to stick with the preformed niches that Kerdi sells?

If you create a custom shower bench, do you need to use the preformed corners around it, or can you use Kerdi Band around the corners?

Thanks.
1995droptopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2017, 07:39 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 4,260

Re: Kerdi System Questions

There no reason you have stay with the cookie cutter sizes. All of the systems can be adapted to work with whatever you ultimate vision of the shower is.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2017, 08:38 AM   #3

What would be the proper way to build the niche then? I have found some ways of doing it with the Kerdi board, but I cannot get a smaller quantity than 12 boards shipped, and do not know of any local distributors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2017, 09:15 AM   #4

Also, I am planning a 48x60 shower. Based on the dimensions I will end up with a seam on the floor in the Kerdi. From what I can gather reading the installation instructions, this is acceptable as long as there is a 2" overlap or you butt the sheets together and install kerdi Band with thinset. Is this correct? I am extremely nervous about leaks since every shower pan I have encountered has leaked at some point. I have never done one up to this point for that reason.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:02 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1995droptopz View Post
Also, I am planning a 48x60 shower. Based on the dimensions I will end up with a seam on the floor in the Kerdi. From what I can gather reading the installation instructions, this is acceptable as long as there is a 2" overlap or you butt the sheets together and install kerdi Band with thinset. Is this correct? I am extremely nervous about leaks since every shower pan I have encountered has leaked at some point. I have never done one up to this point for that reason.
You are correct on the 2" overlap when seaming Kerdi. Band would be ok too, but the overlapping is easier. The Schluter system is a good product as long as you follow their installation instructions. I have used other premodern niches with Kerdi and had no issues.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement