KERDI Shower Systems - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes
Old 09-23-2017, 07:25 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 75
Rewards Points: 150
Default

KERDI Shower Systems


Has anyone had any involvement with these Schluter "KERDI Shower Systems"

I'm really interested in the KERDI shower base and curb system.

https://www.schluter.com/schluter-us...er-System/c/SS
Kemper100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-23-2017, 07:43 PM   #2
Exterior Construction
 
Windows on Wash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Washington DC Metro Area (VA, MD, DC)
Posts: 20,317
Rewards Points: 4,322
Blog Entries: 38
Default

Re: KERDI Shower Systems


Well regarded and thought out system.

As long as you follow the steps, they work like a charm.

Only drawback is they aren't cheap.
chandler48 likes this.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-23-2017, 07:46 PM   #3
Naildriver
 
chandler48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Young Harris, Georgia
Posts: 6,657
Rewards Points: 3,676
Default

Re: KERDI Shower Systems


It can be a time saver (over packing in a pre-slope/liner/slope) but you do have to follow all physics in layering it so water moves toward the drain if there are any seams like in the corners where the base meets the walls.
__________________
Larry......
Half of Communications is Listening, and You can't Listen with your Mouth.
chandler48 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chandler48 For This Useful Post:
Kemper100 (09-24-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-24-2017, 04:42 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 75
Rewards Points: 150
Default

Re: KERDI Shower Systems


Quote:
Originally Posted by chandler48 View Post
It can be a time saver (over packing in a pre-slope/liner/slope) but you do have to follow all physics in layering it so water moves toward the drain if there are any seams like in the corners where the base meets the walls.
Please explain, the pan (poly section) is pre-sloped to allow the water to flow toward the drain correct?
Kemper100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 06:26 AM   #5
Naildriver
 
chandler48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Young Harris, Georgia
Posts: 6,657
Rewards Points: 3,676
Default

Re: KERDI Shower Systems


I said Kerdi was a time saver. Packing in a preslope/liner/slope is time and material consuming. The Kerdi system is better, but more expensive.
__________________
Larry......
Half of Communications is Listening, and You can't Listen with your Mouth.
chandler48 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chandler48 For This Useful Post:
PappyO (09-24-2017)
Old 09-24-2017, 08:00 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 43
Rewards Points: 92
Default

Re: KERDI Shower Systems


Quote:
Originally Posted by chandler48 View Post
I said Kerdi was a time saver. Packing in a preslope/liner/slope is time and material consuming. The Kerdi system is better, but more expensive.
Oh yea ok.......probably better for a novice like myself.

Is the Kerdi system like double the cost / more expensive over and above than the shower base with concrete build?

PappyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 08:38 AM   #7
Naildriver
 
chandler48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Young Harris, Georgia
Posts: 6,657
Rewards Points: 3,676
Default

Re: KERDI Shower Systems


About $2/sf for the mat. The pans kits will run around $500. I install oddly shaped showers sometimes, so we stick with the sand mix pack base.
__________________
Larry......
Half of Communications is Listening, and You can't Listen with your Mouth.
chandler48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 09:17 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 43
Rewards Points: 92
Default

Re: KERDI Shower Systems


Quote:
Originally Posted by chandler48 View Post
About $2/sf for the mat. The pans kits will run around $500. I install oddly shaped showers sometimes, so we stick with the sand mix pack base.
This shower is roughly 6' X 4 basic rectangle
PappyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 11:41 AM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,803
Rewards Points: 898
Default

Re: KERDI Shower Systems


Quote:
Originally Posted by PappyO View Post
Oh yea ok.......probably better for a novice like myself.

Is the Kerdi system like double the cost / more expensive over and above than the shower base with concrete build?

You can do an old school pan for about $100. Mud, PVC, lath, 2x4's and drain (not including grate).
BIG Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 11:51 AM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 43
Rewards Points: 92
Default

Re: KERDI Shower Systems


Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG Johnson View Post
You can do an old school pan for about $100. Mud, PVC, lath, 2x4's and drain (not including grate).
I'm leaning that way, budget is limited
PappyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 04:26 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,803
Rewards Points: 898
Default

Re: KERDI Shower Systems


Quote:
Originally Posted by PappyO View Post
I'm leaning that way, budget is limited
Here are the directions.


http://floorelf.com/how-to-create-a-shower-floor-part-1
BIG Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BIG Johnson For This Useful Post:
PappyO (09-25-2017)
Old 09-24-2017, 04:32 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,803
Rewards Points: 898
Default

Re: KERDI Shower Systems


Quote:
Originally Posted by PappyO View Post
I'm leaning that way, budget is limited
My local tile shop does a hybrid. They build a sloped mud pan then use the kerdi drain and membrane. Said they've never had a leak. They have 3 or 4 tile crews doing showers every week.

Mud pan probably costs $25 with lath and roofing felt.
Kerdi drain is $100
kerdi membrane is $150 for 108 sq ft. ~ 20 sq ft. for the floor then the rest for the walls. They place kerdi membrane directly over regular drywall. Then kerdi band between wall and floor.


https://www.amazon.com/Schluter-Kerd.../dp/B003C6EQPE


I'm going this route on my next house. The kerdi drain comes with a grate which is $35 separate so it's really only about $60 more than the PVC route drain wise. $55 if you have to buy a bag of pea stone and a tube of silicone. $40 if you have to buy the special PVC liner cement and corners. See where this is going?

Last edited by BIG Johnson; 09-24-2017 at 04:37 PM.
BIG Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BIG Johnson For This Useful Post:
PappyO (09-25-2017)
Old 09-25-2017, 07:06 AM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 43
Rewards Points: 92
Default

Re: KERDI Shower Systems


Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG Johnson View Post
My local tile shop does a hybrid. They build a sloped mud pan then use the kerdi drain and membrane. Said they've never had a leak. They have 3 or 4 tile crews doing showers every week.

Mud pan probably costs $25 with lath and roofing felt.
Kerdi drain is $100
kerdi membrane is $150 for 108 sq ft. ~ 20 sq ft. for the floor then the rest for the walls. They place kerdi membrane directly over regular drywall. Then kerdi band between wall and floor.


https://www.amazon.com/Schluter-Kerd.../dp/B003C6EQPE


I'm going this route on my next house. The kerdi drain comes with a grate which is $35 separate so it's really only about $60 more than the PVC route drain wise. $55 if you have to buy a bag of pea stone and a tube of silicone. $40 if you have to buy the special PVC liner cement and corners. See where this is going?
So no need for fiber cement board?
PappyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 07:10 AM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,803
Rewards Points: 898
Default

Re: KERDI Shower Systems


Quote:
Originally Posted by PappyO View Post
So no need for fiber cement board?
Not with kerdi membrane installed properly over drywall.
BIG Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:33 AM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 43
Rewards Points: 92
Default

Re: KERDI Shower Systems


Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG Johnson View Post
Thanks!

Question what do you typically use for a moisture barrier?
PappyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
kerdi shower kits mule98h Tiling, ceramics, marble 5 03-27-2014 08:12 PM
Complete bathroom redesign- need help with shower placement Liv Kitchen & Bath Remodeling 0 03-08-2012 12:00 PM
Moisture-proofing kerdi shower walls tdarlingt Kitchen & Bath Remodeling 2 05-15-2011 06:11 PM
Schluter Kerdi shower system...help! secutanudu Kitchen & Bath Remodeling 3 07-18-2010 06:49 PM
Kerdi shower pan Eck4Life Flooring 7 01-29-2009 02:57 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts