Kerdi Shower Pan And Cement Board Walls - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-13-2018, 09:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 6

Kerdi Shower Pan and Cement Board Walls

Hello, I just joined this forum. I am a DIYer and tackling a bathroom remodel. My walk in shower is all framed in with plumbing done in wall. I have wood subfloor with 1/2 inch cement board on the walls, but walls are not to the floor yet. To save money and assure a good slope to the shower floor, we purchased the Kerdi pan, membrane, bans, drain and mortar. The walls are cement board and I purchased a few gallons of Redguard for waterproofing them. My question is this: Do I finish installing and waterproofing the pan or the wall first. THere is no lip on the Kerdi shower pan to accept the backer boards. Or do I install the backerboards to the floor first, then fit the pan in the shower? I want to be sure water drains properly, with no leaks, and I've seen different opinions on this. Also, can the membrane and band that come with Kerdi, be used on the cement board where they meet at the wall? Should I keep the Kerdi product away from the Redguard? Thanks in advance!
Linda Foster
Linda Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2018, 10:17 PM   #2

Re: Kerdi Shower Pan and Cement Board Walls

This may help
There may even be some savings in trading in the red gard for kerdi membrane to be able to use their complete system.

Sent from my mobile look-at device
w0j0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2018, 09:16 AM   #3

Thanks for the share. Yes, I have seen these Kerdi videos and they are very helpful! But, I would spend four times as much on Kerdi membrane and bands for my walls as I did for the Redguard (which cost me $100.) So this still does not answer my question as to whether I can do both....? Redguard the walls and Kerdi on the pan.
Linda Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2018, 08:18 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,444

Linda,
You're trying to mix two different methods that function at opposite ends of the spectrum from each other. Sometimes trying to save money on a project like this will come back and cost you more in the long run if it doesn't work. The Schluter system is an excellent engineered system, I use their products whenever I do a complete tile shower. The only time I use a product such as redguard is when I either tile around a tub or use a one piece shower base like a fiberglass or acrylic product. I don't have an easy answer for you as far as using the redguard with the Schluter base, I wouldn't recommend it.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 03:04 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 14

Linda,
I just registered on this diychatroom in order to post a question about installing a ceiling light in my shower, but I saw your question and it is the same one on my own list of questions to find answers. I am doing over the shower, and have done A LOT of research, and acquired all the materials about a year ago, when I did the demolition. The walls will be cement board and the drain will be Kerdi pan. Now I am finally getting around to installation, and I know I watched at least one video last year that described how to meet the cement board and the Kerdi drain pan. I am determined to locate that information. Meanwhile, it's been two weeks since you posted, so if you found your answer, please let me know. thanks!
Biggycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 03:15 PM   #6

BTW, I have been a DIYer for a long time, have successfully renovated another bathroom with new plumbing, electrical, new subfloor, toilet, but left the tub in place and waterproofed and tiled around it. I am confident that the Kerdi pan can be used with the cement board walls, and will continue to look for credible info on this. In any case, what I do know for redoing the shower is that all surfaces must be covered with waterproofing material, all surfaces must be waterproof. I watched many Schluter videos. I believe that the Kerdi band material will be used at the pan/wall joint. But like I said I will confirm this and re-post here.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:09 AM   #7

The Schluter Kerdi drain pan will work with the cement board walls. I was told by the Schluter dealer to create the water tight shower enclosure, and you're good to go: Install the cement board on the walls, down to the flooring, seal the joints with thinset and fiberglass mesh tape, waterproof with Red Guard (or your choice). Then follow the instructions to install the Kerdi pan, using the Kerdi band material and thinset to seal it to the waterproof walls. This is exactly how I will do my shower, I have no reason to think that the Kerdi pan cannot work well with the cement walls.
Old 04-07-2018, 01:12 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 8

I have questions for DIY bathroom remodel: I have area where I'm creating curbless walk in shower down to studs. I plan to cover wall with 1/2 inch Hardibacker then apply Kerdi membrane over backer before I tile floor to ceiling. My shower floor area is 48 x 60 inches; Schluter doesn't make floor pan this size, but Wedi does, so I plan to use Wedi pan. (Wedi panels for walls are beyond my budget).
Leaving the shower area I plan to tile 36 inches from floor around rest of bathroom; can I apply Kerdi membrane over drywall here without ripping it out and replacing with backer board?
Thanks.
DocWeigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 05:24 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,444

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWeigle View Post
I have questions for DIY bathroom remodel: I have area where I'm creating curbless walk in shower down to studs. I plan to cover wall with 1/2 inch Hardibacker then apply Kerdi membrane over backer before I tile floor to ceiling. My shower floor area is 48 x 60 inches; Schluter doesn't make floor pan this size, but Wedi does, so I plan to use Wedi pan. (Wedi panels for walls are beyond my budget).
Leaving the shower area I plan to tile 36 inches from floor around rest of bathroom; can I apply Kerdi membrane over drywall here without ripping it out and replacing with backer board?
Thanks.
Kerdi membrane is designed to go over normal drywall. Check their website for details.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement