Joining Two Piece Of 3/4" Plywood At A "L" Shape For A Countertop - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-07-2014, 10:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 240

Joining two piece of 3/4" plywood at a "L" shape for a countertop

I'm in the process of building a "epoxy countertop". I have a "L shape" that I need to form. I understand that many countertops use "miter bolts" that hold both pieces together. In my situation it's very critical that both pieces don't move because I'm painting and putting on a epoxy resin. How can i join 'with bolts" two pieces of plywood together. There isn't enough depth in a 3/4 plywood to take a miter bolt.
steppinthrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2014, 10:38 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 17,890

Best way would be with a piece of 1 X 4 glued and screwed in place under the top.
Second best would be glued joint and A Kreg tool.
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2014, 10:47 PM   #3
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,054

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Best way would be with a piece of 1 X 4 glued and screwed in place under the top.
Yep..... Or a spline joint (even multiple biscuits) glued and one or two counter/miter clamps if not supported underneath.... they are not 3/4 deep... and fill them in with epoxy like a granite tie.........

Last edited by MTN REMODEL LLC; 12-07-2014 at 10:51 PM.
MTN REMODEL LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2014, 10:19 AM   #4

I thought of an idea right after typing this up.

In my situation I'm going to lay two 3/4" pieces of plywood on top of each other to make the countertop 1.5" thick. What I could do is stagger the seams and not cut them at a 45 degree, but do straight cuts. So on the first layer of plywood the cut would be on the short leg of the "L" while on the 2nd layer the cut would be on the long leg of the "L". I think in that case I wouldn't need some way to keep the seam tight because I would heavily glue each layer of plywood together and use several screws along the perimeter and center to "fuse" both pieces of plywood together.

The main issue I have here is how will I make the seam disappear. I could maybe use bondo on the seam on the top and sand it. I just need to make it flat. I will put 2 coats of a oil based primer on the plywood. How do I deal with the seam on the edge (where the two pieces of plywood meet)? Do I also push in bondo and sand? I was planning to put a bullnose on the edge of the plywood with a router. How can I make the edge of the plywood "seamless". My fear is after putting bondo and sanding and after I've applied my color/design and epoxy that the seam will start to show after several years and/or the plywood may start to separate.

Too many issues, but seems maybe I'm overthinking this?
The Following User Says Thank You to steppinthrax For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (12-08-2014)
Old 12-08-2014, 05:15 PM   #5
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,054

Steppin.... Yes.... I think you have a very viable idea.... and maybe a little too worried about it's performance (unless there is fact we don't know... I think you will be fine.... it's not a go-go cage is it?)...

EXCEPT.... I have no idea how you would get a nice bull nose on the edge of ply.... even if you get a top quality 9 ply cabinet ply (PRICEY!).... I think any bull nose is going to be rough.... maybe not with alot of filling/sanding and multiple base/finish coats.....

In all honesty... I've never tried a finish quality BN on a ply product....

Interested if anybody else has tried it..

Good luck
Old 12-08-2014, 05:38 PM   #6
gdc

Rewards Points: 168

joining to pieces of 3/4 plywood

did this myself for a wet bar. I will try and find some pix. what kind of epoxy are you going to use.
gdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 06:34 PM   #7

LOL,

I actually changed my mind a bit (again) after making this thread. I think i'm going to go with MDF instead of plywood. I found a company that specializes in Epoxy products for doing exactly what I"m doing. I also called them and viewed various materials in HD today. Plywood (even birch cabinet grade) is too unpredictable and has voids!!! I looked at MDF. My biggest concern with MDF was it wasn't strong enough. If you take two pieces of 3/4" mdf and screw them together you pretty much have pretty strong material. There will be no overhang, so it won't be much of a problem. They have been using particleboard for laminate countertops for generations. MDF is supposed to be a much more superior product to particleboard. I was viewing videos of people doing this, they use bondo etc for the seam. Works great in the end.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:10 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 40

great post
Roybklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement