Interior PVC Trim Pointers (bathroom) - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Nealtw
  • 1 Post By Nealtw
  • 1 Post By gslenk
  • 1 Post By mark sr

Old 07-31-2019, 08:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 232

Interior PVC trim pointers (bathroom)

I plan on using pvc trim in my bathroom specifically because the door moulding will be very close to the shower, so I got all the trim in pvc. It is royal moulding from HD.

Since this is an indoor environment, and temperatures shouldn't fluctuate too much, and the longest piece is just under 4ft, I am thinking of ignoring the usual required expansion gaps. I have pre-painted all pieces, just need to cut and install.

Here's the plan so far (sound good, or any changes?):
Baseboard:
No gaps
Miter inside baseboard corners, glue with PVC medium clear cement
Use Osi Quad Advanced to fill/smooth any gaps in corners
Use MH ready patch and touchup paint for any screw/nail holes

Door trim:
Glue the top mitered corners with pvc medium cement
Use Osi Quad... to fill/smooth any gaps
Leave no expansion except maybe 1/32-1/16 where the trim meets the floor.

What I am still unsure about:
For the baseboard, should I use caulk anywhere, top/bottom? If so silicone for the floor (tile), and acrylic for the top? Run/tool the bead after installation, or lay the bead first and embed the baseboard into it?

For the door trim, the instructions state no brads/wire/staples should be used, and it cannot be fastened within 3/4" of the edge. So how do I go about attaching it to the door jamb? Liquid nails is mentioned in the instructions for securing to wood, yet they state glue alone is not sufficient. I will be screwing it into framing on the thicker side of the trim, inside of the 3/4" requirement.

The baseboard will have one exposed edge. It there an appropriate way to cut this edge before finishing? I don't have a router to do anything fancy, but I do have a compound miter saw, and sandpaper.
Attached Thumbnails
Interior PVC trim pointers (bathroom)-img_3513.jpeg   Interior PVC trim pointers (bathroom)-img_3512.jpeg   Interior PVC trim pointers (bathroom)-img_3511.jpeg   Interior PVC trim pointers (bathroom)-img_3510.jpeg   Interior PVC trim pointers (bathroom)-img_3509.jpeg  

gslenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2019, 04:33 AM   #2
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,676

Re: Interior PVC trim pointers (bathroom)

I've not heard that you could not pin nail pvc trim. But in the event the mfg says no, then you can use Fuze it adhesive to hold the molding to the jamb. Hopefully you will be using no head trim screws.

OSI Quad may contain the warning "for exterior use only", as it off gasses pretty much. I use it exclusively for exterior trim, but not inside. It is petroleum based and will require a solvent to remove it from errant applications and spills. I would use a latex based sealant/caulk on top of the base and around the window/door trim.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2019, 08:27 AM   #3

These are the quotes I was referencing. Perhaps by no "small brads" they mean "big brads" are ok? If so, what counts as "not small"?

On the pvc to pvc glue, I experimented with regular purple primer and clear glue. clear glue on its own seemed to work just as good with or without primer. Is azek glue really worth it for small cross section trim compared to regular pvc cement?

Do you caulk after installation or embed it during the installation? There isn't much gap for the caulk to go into on top of the baseboard.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2019, 11:12 AM   #4

What's better/easier to finish? No gap (probably glues better), or a little gap (probably caulks better)?

It's gonna be behind a toilet anyway, but good practice opportunity.
Attached Thumbnails
Interior PVC trim pointers (bathroom)-img_3517.jpeg   Interior PVC trim pointers (bathroom)-img_3516.jpeg  
Old 08-01-2019, 11:45 AM   #5
retired painter

Rewards Points: 1,426

The top fit looks better, the bottom gap might caulk better but only marginally.
I couldn't count the number of new construction homes I've caulked where the trim work was worse than either picture. .... find something else to worry about
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 12:02 PM   #6
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,792

Gregsoldtruck79 likes this.
Old 08-01-2019, 02:33 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,406

If I ever caught a finish carpenter running baseboard while working for me using a Dremel tool, the first thing I would say to him is .." I hope you are being paid by the job and not by the hour" .

The bottom video is dead on, the same way I have ran base and CM for many years. But I did not chop saw my plumb cuts, I "back cut" coped them just like I did the profiles cuts.

Because just one millisecond of downward saw movement too much, and one will have a nice square "notch" right at the bottom of the profile cut where it joins the top of the baseboard.
Old 08-01-2019, 02:39 PM   #8
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,792

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregsoldtruck79 View Post
If I ever caught a finish carpenter running baseboard while working for me using a Dremel tool, the first thing I would say to him is .." I hope you are being paid by the job and not by the hour" .

The bottom video is dead on, the same way I have ran base and CM for many years. But I did not chop saw my plumb cuts, I "back cut" coped them just like I did the profiles cuts.

Because just one millisecond of downward saw movement too much, and one will have a nice square "notch" right at the bottom of the profile cut where it joins the top of the baseboard.
I wish the manufactures could develop a machine so each piece came with one end coped.
Old 08-01-2019, 04:34 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 7,216

Quote:
Originally Posted by gslenk View Post
On the pvc to pvc glue, I experimented with regular purple primer and clear glue. clear glue on its own seemed to work just as good with or without primer. Is azek glue really worth it for small cross section trim compared to regular pvc cement?
I have used regular PVC pipe cement (grey) without primer on PVC trim board. The PVC cement was even 2 years beyond its "use before" date. I tested both face-face and edge-edge. Whacked my test pieces with a hammer and the parent material broke before the joint. No need to get fancy on the cement.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 06:59 PM   #10

I think regular cement is stronger than Azek, or the Azek didn't have enough time to set up for the pieces I tested.

While I'm caulking the tops of the baseboards, I am thinking I should run a bead up the sides of the vanity, and in the gap between baseboard and vanity. That sound right?
Attached Thumbnails
Interior PVC trim pointers (bathroom)-img_3518.jpeg  
Nealtw likes this.
Old 08-02-2019, 04:45 AM   #11
retired painter

As long as the vanity is secured to the wall I often caulk the gap.
Old 08-02-2019, 06:33 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,406

Bit off topic but related. Lets say a home has a lot of the PVC trim work in it and the new owner or even the present owner later on, decides they want to change the rooms color scheme. But doing so, will require painting the PVC base trim in the room.

Just how large of a project will it be, to get paint to stick to PVC trim ? I cannot imagine painting it and then a year later due to wear (such as vacuum sweeper head rub, pets laying against it, etc) start seeing paint peeling off the PVC. Yuck....
Old 08-02-2019, 10:02 AM   #13
retired painter

I used to paint for a builder that incorporated 4" PVC as columns in some of his fireplace mantels. All I did was wipe them down with liquid deglosser and apply my waterborne enamel. It stuck fine although I'm sure they didn't see the abuse that a base board does.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement