Insulating Roof Rafters/Removal Of Ceiling Joist - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-09-2014, 10:42 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Insulating Roof Rafters/Removal of Ceiling Joist

Hey everyone. Newbie here. Doing a bathroom remodel.

1 story ranch house, built in 1978, brick exterior. 2000q ft. Bathroom is 8'X13' and sits at the back corner of the home. 2 of the walls are load bearing outside walls. Have questions about insulating the roof rafters, and removal of the ceiling joists.

Roof rafters are 2x6 spaced 24". Ceiling joists are also 2x6 spaced 24". My main point of confusion comes from the often repeated pondering of us DIY'ers that want to remove our flat 8' ceilings and expose a vaulted or cathedral ceiling: Insulating and Venting. I understand the need for air space, and using baffles under the insulation quite well, where I'm stuck is that this roof, or rather this room in particular, is on a corner of the house, so the roof rafters I will be sistering additional depth on, and eventually insulating, do not lead to the ridge of the roof.

My initial idea is to sister additional 2x6 material directly onto the face of the existing rafters by using 12" strips of plywood on both sides and going thru both 2x6's from the front with 8 inch decking bolts. Liquid nails, staggered wood screws on the sides etc. Structurally the home is in great shape and the roof and decking is only 7 years old. No worries about needing extra support, just simply how best to insulate and vent? Do I even need to vent this area since none of these joists make it to the roof ridge?

For removal of the ceiling joists, I fully understand that is literally not feasible due to the fact it is supporting the outside load bearing wall, and removing them entirely is a very bad idea. With that said, what can be done to retain that support while clearing out the ceiling space so to speak to open the space up? Any ideas? I would love to use steel tie rods instead of the old 2x6's but I also wouldn't mind sanding and refinishing the 2x6's if I have to keep them, but can I rearrange them so to speak? Or condense them in any way?

P.S. 18 inches of blown fiberglass with a Shop-Vac is just complete torture!
Attached Thumbnails
Insulating Roof Rafters/Removal of Ceiling Joist-img_1030.jpg   Insulating Roof Rafters/Removal of Ceiling Joist-img_1032.jpg   Insulating Roof Rafters/Removal of Ceiling Joist-img_1031.jpg  
hammertyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement