Insulate Fiberglass Tub? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By dannieboiz
  • 1 Post By Nealtw
  • 1 Post By Mike Milam
  • 1 Post By Nealtw

Old 03-27-2018, 08:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 636

insulate fiberglass tub?

Replacing a metal tub with a fiberglass whirlpool. Trying to avoid having to install a heater. Read that some people insulate it with either foam or fiberglass insulation.

Thinking about picking up a couple cans of spray foam insulation and spray the surrounds before putting it in. Would this give a decent insulation and provide a more solid feel to the tub?
dannieboiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2018, 09:58 PM   #2
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 3,544

Re: insulate fiberglass tub?

How long do you plan to live in this home?

Fiberglass tubs will eventually deteriorate and crack and leak and ruin the flooring. And maybe the entire structure.

They use Styrofoam stiffener blocks to support the tub, the Styrofoam deteriorates and the support is gone, then the fiberglass flakes off on the underside, eventually getting too thin to support you, and then you have a foot through the fiberglass , or a bare behind. OUCH.

Once you spray the foam to set your tub into, you have a limited amount of time to get it set right, or you will have a crooked tub.

Why remove the steel tub, is it rusted, or bad?

ED
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2018, 10:51 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by de-nagorg View Post
How long do you plan to live in this home?

Fiberglass tubs will eventually deteriorate and crack and leak and ruin the flooring. And maybe the entire structure.

They use Styrofoam stiffener blocks to support the tub, the Styrofoam deteriorates and the support is gone, then the fiberglass flakes off on the underside, eventually getting too thin to support you, and then you have a foot through the fiberglass , or a bare behind. OUCH.

Once you spray the foam to set your tub into, you have a limited amount of time to get it set right, or you will have a crooked tub.

Why remove the steel tub, is it rusted, or bad?

ED
I'll be using mortar to support the base. The insulating thing was just brainstorming probably won't do it.

The metal tub was chipping so we used it as an excuse to put in a whirlpool.
de-nagorg likes this.
dannieboiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2018, 11:34 PM   #4
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,464

The biggest heat loss is the surface f the water, I doubt you will ever notice a difference. When I had one no heater just add a little hot water if you stay there long enough for water to cool off.
Mike Milam likes this.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 09:41 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
The biggest heat loss is the surface f the water, I doubt you will ever notice a difference. When I had one no heater just add a little hot water if you stay there long enough for water to cool off.
That's what we do (add hot). I usually only use it at times when I'm really sore and stiff for overdoing something. I prefer showering as a rule. My dad asked me when I was about 15 years old why I would want to sit in water my butt is in, lol. Stuck with me.
Nealtw likes this.
Old 03-28-2018, 09:45 AM   #6
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,464

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Milam View Post
That's what we do (add hot). I usually only use it at times when I'm really sore and stiff for overdoing something. I prefer showering as a rule. My dad asked me when I was about 15 years old why I would want to sit in water my butt is in, lol. Stuck with me.
I put one in and after two years I only used it to get the price per use down to something reasonable. The thrill wore off in a few month.
Mike Milam likes this.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement