Installing Shower Door Not Quite Wide Enough - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-18-2014, 12:28 AM  

Rewards Points: 10

Installing Shower Door Not Quite Wide Enough

I have a shower stall with a glass pivot door which I'd like to replace. The width of the opening is 34" wall to wall. I found a shower door kit at Home Depot but it only supports up to a width of 33.5". So I was wondering if it would be a good idea to install 2" wide trim tile on top of the existing tile on each side where the door jambs of the shower door would be to fill in the extra 0.5" that the shower door is short by.

I checked that tiling over existing tiles is possible so I would add 2" trim tiles of at least 0.25" thickness along where the jambs would be on each side and install the shower door into the opening which would now be 33.5" wide.

Is this a reasonable thing to do or is this solution not as simple as I think it is? Anyone ever done this before?

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2014, 07:47 AM  

Rewards Points: 2,452

Check back with the manufacturer. They may have fillers for your situation.
The Following User Says Thank You to carpdad For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (09-18-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2014, 04:37 PM  

Rewards Points: 7,186

The door may or might not include a glue-on wiper strip to seal against the jam. If you go to a real glass shop, they probably have a number of styles/sizes to choose from (or maybe find them on the internet). If HD has the door on display, you might be able to get real dimensions so you can accurately determine what you need.
Attached Thumbnails
Installing Shower Door Not Quite Wide Enough-wipers.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2014, 08:12 PM  

Rewards Points: 582

Quote:
Originally Posted by diynorml View Post
I have a shower stall with a glass pivot door which I'd like to replace. The width of the opening is 34" wall to wall. I found a shower door kit at Home Depot but it only supports up to a width of 33.5". So I was wondering if it would be a good idea to install 2" wide trim tile on top of the existing tile on each side where the door jambs of the shower door would be to fill in the extra 0.5" that the shower door is short by.

I checked that tiling over existing tiles is possible so I would add 2" trim tiles of at least 0.25" thickness along where the jambs would be on each side and install the shower door into the opening which would now be 33.5" wide.

Is this a reasonable thing to do or is this solution not as simple as I think it is? Anyone ever done this before?

TIA
no and no...sorry.. get a door that fits.. or see if extentions are available...
Old 09-18-2014, 08:20 PM  
Jello Wrangler

Rewards Points: 539

You can either find some for that door or make your own. Most big box stores carry a wide selection of aluminium tubing and channel. If your trim is chrome or brushed nickel, the channel will match pretty good right off the shelf.

The biggest hurdle will be the threshold. Typically it's not something that you can duplicate or even come close with stock items. For that reason I would look at another door that is made to fit your opening. Adding tile to tile really isn't a good solution.
Old 09-20-2014, 12:37 AM  
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 558

Those doors are adjustable. I would think the door would easily fill that extra 1/2". Look into it a little closer before you go off half-cocked and try to re-invent the wheel.

Shower doors are made in sizes that will basically fit any opening like that without having to call-in Rube Goldberg.
Old 09-20-2014, 02:18 AM  

Rewards Points: 10

OK, it looks like the consensus is to find the a shower door that fits instead of "padding" the shower walls. I did find some but they are at least twice as expensive as the one I was looking at.

When I first came up with the "padding" solution, I thought it was brilliant! I could save significant money using this seemingly simple solution. But I guess not.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for your replies. I do appreciate the prompt responses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
shower door , width