Installing An Exhaust Ceiling Fan In Bathroom Where None Has Ever Existed - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-02-2017, 07:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 36

Installing an exhaust ceiling fan in bathroom where none has ever existed

Should I DIY newbie avoid installing an exhaust fan in a ceiling bathroom where no such fan has existed before? I think this is outside my realm. The ceiling is getting moist. Would running a dehumidifier be an option?

How much does it cost to put an exhaust fan in ceiling bathroom and insert a penetration point (after parts and labor)?
Intosnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2017, 08:38 PM   #2
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,640

Re: Installing an exhaust ceiling fan in bathroom where none has ever existed

Yes, it is within the realm of DIY to put a fan in the bathroom. It will depend entirely on your skill level. Is there access above the bathroom in the attic? Where do you plan on exiting the building with the exhaust? How are you at running an electrical circuit and switching?

Even a dehumidifier will require you to either empty the bucket or have a permanent drain set up, so the exhaust fan is a good idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2017, 10:49 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 36

The exhaust could exit either in the eave (overhanging portion of the roof) or through the roof. To get to the attic above the bathroom, you would need a ladder. Then you'd have to hop on the support beams. The attic does not have a regular floor. I think that means that there is access to the attic. I don't know that much about electrical work. I'll have to do some research.
Intosnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2017, 10:58 AM   #4
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,640

Venting to the soffit is fine if you use the proper type of termination flap. Using a dryer type, won't seal back when the air stops moving. You'll want to stop cold air from returning into the bathroom, so a good termination is imperative. I am not an advocate of cutting holes in an otherwise non leaking roof, but it is doable, and sometimes required if the soffit area is too difficult to access.
Attached Images

Old 07-05-2017, 06:30 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,054

The ceiling part is no big deal. The wiring can be scary for some. I prefer to run new wire and install another switch to control the fan independently from the lights. If you don't want to change the box, you can use a double switch. The proper roof penetration can be a challenge, depending on the roof type. You want a short run to the roof and no water traps to grow mold.
clarenceboddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 03:17 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2

it should be vented thru the roof not the soffit cause it will be sucked back in to the attic, only you can answer if you are in over your head, just keep in mind that alot can go wrong if it's not done right, you could start a fire or have a roof leak if you don't do it right
ktmrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
exhaust fan