Increase Water Pressure For More Shower Heads? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By chandler48

Old 02-19-2018, 05:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 636

increase water pressure for more shower heads?

We're planning/designing our upcoming bathroom remodel. Along with it, we'll be repiping the whole house.

Pipes are 3/4 copper throughout and then 1/2 to the faucets and shower head.

A steam shower was requested by the lady boss. I really like the idea of having multiple body jets and maybe even two shower heads and a hand held one.

I don't ever seeing all the nozzles will on at once but still would like to have adequate pressure a few to be on at once and it doesn't feel like water drippings.

It won't be a DIY project but I'd like to be educated enough to make sure whoever we hire do it properly or at least tell them how it want things done.

Any rule of thumb on the water pressure calculation? Anyway to increase water pressure only to those plumbing area required?

FWIW, we also have a water softener which I'm told that will reduce pressure. For our signal shower head now, it's just good enough.
dannieboiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2018, 06:24 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,406

Re: increase water pressure for more shower heads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannieboiz View Post
We're planning/designing our upcoming bathroom remodel. Along with it, we'll be repiping the whole house.

Pipes are 3/4 copper throughout and then 1/2 to the faucets and shower head.

A steam shower was requested by the lady boss. I really like the idea of having multiple body jets and maybe even two shower heads and a hand held one.

I don't ever seeing all the nozzles will on at once but still would like to have adequate pressure a few to be on at once and it doesn't feel like water drippings.

It won't be a DIY project but I'd like to be educated enough to make sure whoever we hire do it properly or at least tell them how it want things done.

Any rule of thumb on the water pressure calculation? Anyway to increase water pressure only to those plumbing area required?

FWIW, we also have a water softener which I'm told that will reduce pressure. For our signal shower head now, it's just good enough.
I am confused here. To me, a steam shower means actually having steam piped in to the shower, which would require the use of a steam generator. Which would be independent of hot water that may get "steamy" . Clarify please ?
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2018, 06:38 PM   #3
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,692

In addition, no matter what size pipe you have, pressure is pressure. You need to increase VOLUME for all those heads. If you only have one control valve with 1/2" fittings, there is where your volume bottleneck will happen.
lenaitch and Gregsoldtruck79 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2018, 06:41 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,038

Steam showers come equipped with a steam generator.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:36 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 636

Sorry for poorly writing this....

What I meant was we'll be adding a steam shower along with multiple shower heads and body jets as part of the remodel.

So as long as a installed separate valves, I can maintain decent pressure?
dannieboiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:50 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,406

As Chandler mentioned above a bit ago, pressure and volume are related but can play out different when using the water. One can get a lot of pressure from a 3/8" diameter water pipe, but low volume of water flowing. Which will make the person taking a shower feel like they are getting misted, rather than showered. If you get your hot and cold suppy lines to the show controls fed with 3/4" lines and the controls are fed with 1/2 " lines, I see you being happy.

I would be more concerned with your steam room installation. I had to maintain two commercial steam rooms and I cannot emphasize enough, when getting the piping, steam generator location/sizing, humidity controlled, steam comfort controls ALL, satisfactory and working well...can be a REAL design problem.

Ones you do NOT want to deal with, once the steam room is done and in use. Be sure and get a GOOD steam room/equipment installer that has many good previous customers references to check out. . Good Luck. JMO
Old 02-19-2018, 10:56 PM   #7
Peace be with you

Rewards Points: 1,860

as Greg has pointed out steam generation
has inherit problems so do your homework.

usually the problem with multiple use shower systems
is in the amounts of hot water available & the drainage
required the handle the showering *party* occurring

that said the controls are usually run through a 3/4"
thermostatic tempering valve first with separate
volume control valves downstream for each outlet/shower

That's the most common configuration but there are
ways to cheat such as with the original delta 1800 series...
or their newer R22000 series
MULTICHOICE® UNIVERSAL INTEGRATED SHOWER
valve that can produce 8gpm @ 75 psi
when installed with the 17 thermostatic cartridge
utilizing 1/2" supply ports that allows for up to 3 outlets
controlled by a 6 function diverter that can
operate up to any 2 outlets at the same time

Peace
My comments towards your questions & concerns are based on my work history, knowledge, & past experiences; they are my opinions given freely in hopes they truly help/bless U. That said, if U don't consult with & or hire a licensed professional locally, then please don't blame me when You DIY... Bottom line - Safety 1st & Always; got that???
DR P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 12:23 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 30

Generally speaking, water pressure should not be over 80psi. A higher volume of water is what you need for a body spray system.

If you have a shower system selected, I would consult the manufacturer for technical water supply requirements or review the installation manual. Most of them are available in a pdf format on their website.

Steam showers are another situation. As indicated above, they’re easy to build wrong and cause problems. Perm ratings, ventilation, and generator sizing are all important factors that must be considered.
NEPA Remodeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement